Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:18 pm 

Back after missing last weekend, and worked on finishing up the control stick lock project. The left foot rail had gaping holes where the bracket was attached, so I had to make a reinforcing plate to bolt the bracket back in place. The bracket had also been twisted, but careful tightening brought it back straight, and now the stick lock is functional once again. The footrails, along with most of the interior will be repainted with green chromate later.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG
To Restore And Preserve Our National Aviation Heritage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:18 pm 

Not a lot to report this visit, as I spent much of the day scrounging through our restortion stock looking for parts and hardware. I did replace the oil shutter control, using another lever assembly and keeping the original toothed bar. The placaard has been repainted but I need to fill the engraved lettering before it can be reinstalled. In preparation for installing radio equipment this summer, I preconnected the suport brackets to the front cockpit radio shelf. Surprisingly, the holes in the bracket don't match up with any of the pre-drilled holes in the shelf, so I clamped them in place and drilled the mounting holes to attach the supports to the shelf.
ImageImage

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:05 pm 

Continuing work on small parts for the cockpit. After locating additional components, I reworked the Oil Cooler Shutter control and renovated a Carb Air control to be mounted on the control shelf. After repainting the Oil Cooler placard, the lettering was filled and added to the control. Last on the list was stripping and cleaning the FL-8-A intercom switch/filter.
Image Image

Image Image

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:49 pm 

Chanute Air Museum to Close December 30, 2015

It is with great disappointment that it has been officially announced that the Chanute Air Museum in Rantoul Illinois will close it's doors on December 30th of this year. For 20 years, CAM has been the largest aviation museum in Illinois and much of the Mid-West, preserving our nation, state and community's aviation heritage, and the history of Chanute AFB and Rantoul.

Due to the closing, I and the other restoration volunteers will be rearranging our priorities and efforts to bring our projects to a close, and make preparations for the probable relocation of the military aircraft to other museums and organizations, as determined by the Navy, Air Force and the Museum Board of Directors.

As for the AT-6 Restoration effort which I have been conducting, I am awaiting news of the future disposition of the plane to plan the finalization of the project. In any event, I will reassemble the exterior and some of the interior to make for an adequate display during the time the museum remains open.

Obviously, this news is a great disappointment for me, but I would like to take this opportunity to thank my fellow WIX members for all of the support and advice you have extended to me during the past year and a half. Thank You! :drink3:

I will continue to post some updates on the work for those who might be interested in following along to the end.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:40 am 

Hey Norm.
I'm genuinely shocked and disappointed about this sad news. Hopefully I can arrange to visit in the near future.
Cheers,
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:31 pm 

April 25, 2015

This is the first entry after receiving the news that the Chanute Air Museum will be closing this coming December. Regardless of the future disposition of the T-6, it still needs to be a viable exhibit for the remainder of the year. So today, I pulled the front engine cowling panels from storage and installed them on the Texan. The oil cooler scoop went on first, then the wheel fairings were added. Finally the left center cowling was installed, with it's distinctive carb air scoop. The cover for the top-rear fuselage was reinstalled as well as the fake gun on the top cowling.
Several small cowling pieces were also painted and next week I hope to paint the left side fuselage panel. Also next week, I hope to begin re-installing the canopy sections.
Image Image Image

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:23 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Such a shame :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:33 pm 

It is an unfortunate situation. Besides the volunteers losing the time to complete their projects, the loss to the community and region is significant. But, the reality is government support has dried up, museum supporters have dwindled, and not-for-profits like the museum can no longer survive without private help.
The building the museum occupies dates back to the thirties, so think leaky roof, poor insulation and high maintenance costs. The city of Rantoul has supported the Museum by paying utilities and maintenance out of the income from other organizations in the same building. Those operations will be out by end of year, and the city can't afford to pay for upkeep. Support from the aviation community is slim here in the farm country of east-central Illinois, so funds to relocate are non-existent.
Hope for a solution springs eternal, but we are preparing for what appears to be inevitable. :(

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:06 pm 
KiwiZac

I'm really sorry to read that news Norm, you've done some great work and it's been a joy to see your progress reports. I'm glad you're still going - whoever gets the T-6 is in for a treat :supz:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:54 pm 

Been a few weeks working on background stuff surrounding closing out the T-6 Project. We're still waiting to see what will become of the Mustang, Texan and B-25, but hoping the Mustang will go to Dayton to the NMUSAF.
With the situation as it is, I'm beginning to button up the T-6 so at least the exterior will appear complete. Plans to repaint the rest of the exterior are scrapped, since any potential new loaner will likely want to strip things down to bare metal and start from scratch.
Today, I had planned to begin re-installing the canopy sections, but things went more smoothly than expected and I was able to get the canopies and windscreen installed, as well as the engine compartment and top cowlings. Still have the left side fuse panel and three small panels to install. The difference between the new and old silver paint are really evident in these photos.
Image Image
Image Image

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:16 pm 

The Central Illinois Fly-in has teamed up with the TopGun LargeCar ShootOut http://www.topgunlargecarshootout.com/ to bring bombers, fighters, helicopters, ag planes, and more to the Rantoul National Aviation Center!

Whether you fly in or drive in, you will enjoy a fun day exploring the many different kinds of trucks and aircraft on display. Music, food, and aircraft rides will also be available.

The Chanute Air Museum is offering reduced admission that Saturday only! — at Chanute Air Museum.

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:00 pm 

Following up on plans to complete the exterior reassembly, today I reinstalled the left side fuse panel and the three small cowling panels on the T-6. At least now the plane appears intact for visitors passing through the hanger. I may still take time to apply lettering and markings to enhance the appearance, taking the easy path and simply stenciling those on where appropriate. We are still awaiting information from the NMUSAF concerning disposition of all the aircraft on loan here at the Chanute Air Museum, so that final preparations can be made in advance of the museum's closure.
Image Image

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:15 pm 
KiwiZac

From your photos it looks like one could climb up onto the wing, strap in and start 'er up. Top work, Norm :drink3: It looks really good. Whoever gets this machine will have a really cool exhibit on their hands.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:47 pm 

On May 28th, the Chanute Air Museum announced it will close it's doors at the end of this year (2015). To help with the costs of shutting down, We are putting up restoration stock parts at http://p51h.home.comcast.net/~p51h/at6b/sale/sale.htm

New items include parts for the static restoration of the AT-6, which now will not be added to the plane. some of these are pictured below. The T-6 interior was to be restored to AT-6D configuration and these are appropriate for that model.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

For prices, terms and conditions, go to http://p51h.home.comcast.net/~p51h/at6b/sale/sale.htm

WWW.AEROMUSEUM.ORG

Last edited by Mustanger55 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Norm,

I want to say "thank you" for all your efforts at the museum. Those two words seem to fall far short of the feeling I have in learning that your museum is closing. What you have done has made a difference and has influenced many who have seen your work, even if it was only through these pages on WIX.

With sincere respect,
Ken

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next