Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:57 pm 

Anyone have a lead on WWII/Korean War era Cornelius air compressor manuals? I guess these were often used as gun charger air supply compressors but I am not able to find much about them in any of the turret manuals. I'll try to pull a model number off one of these below. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:09 am 

I dont have a manual but I am an air compressor mechanic for Gates Mechanical Co.
I colect air compressors all kinds if you are looking for info on you specific model send me some pictures of all sides and i can give you a model # and what ever else you need to know like it need to be run in the vertical posistion fan on top. and I could guess from the pictures you posted thay it needs 27 VDC and probably at least 20 to 25 amps to run. Altho it will run on 24 Volts dont let the motor get to hot . well if I can help you further just let me know.
Don
gmcdon@adelphia.net
8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:43 am 

Thanks Don. I'm down in the Panama Beach/Destin area for the week but when I get back to St. Louis, I'll find some pages from the turret manual and post some information. Thanks in advance for your help. For some reason, I have never been able to locate an Aero-9 nose turret manual but I do have a manual for the Aero-11 tail turret and I think there was a compressor back there also.
Albert Stix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:08 pm 

Hey Albert, cant tell you anything about the Aero turrets but these were also used on B-29's for the gun chargers (GE compressors too), and the pneumatic bomb bay doors. I dont have a "specific" manual for them, but they are mentioned in some of my B-29 turret manuals and -2's. Was there something specific you wanted to know about them?

~Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:45 pm 

Trevor,
The two in my photo were bashed up at bit before being tossed into the scrap pile so they are each missing a few pieces. I have lots of parts for these compressors but without an overhaul manual or some sort of exploded parts diagram, its hard to figure out what the missing parts look like. I guess I'll just take these two beat up ones apart and teach myself. Maybe this was one of those components that the military just replaced if it failed?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:06 pm 

Albert,
I think you should be able to rebuild one of the compressors if you are good with mechanical componets and have enough parts.
I will be glad to help you in any help I can. like pressure switch,unloaders,valve direction ect... if you do find any information in print or picture I would love to add it to my colection.
have a nice trip and chat with you when you get back in towm.
Don :axe:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:51 pm 

I have two of these units which I use for recharging air bottles for starting the 5 cly M11FR Russian radial on my Yak 18, and the HS6A on the Nanchang CJ6, works great!

At one time I had a manual, but can't seem to lay my hands on it right now. I bought it from Mark Thompson from CA. He normally has a ad in Trade a Plane for military tech manuals.

One of my compressors is rather weak and uses a lot of oil, the other is great. I run both off a 120AC to 28 volt DC @ 20 amp unit which I bought on Ebay for 50 bucks. What kind of parts do you have? I suspect mine needs rings.

I have a great Yak 18 which just needs clean up and fabric if anyone is looking for a easy builder. Only about 10 flying in the world today. Have lots of spares in stock including 0 time NOS M11FR engines.

Doug Sapp
509-826-4610

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:01 pm 

Interesting news Doug, thanks for posting. I spent the better part of the last week playing with turret parts but the effort was mainly focused on finding A-15 nose turret parts. I did see lots of Cornelius compressor parts but since I do not have a manual and I have still not taken any of my partially complete units apart, I'm sure there are lots of internal parts passing in front of me that I just don't recognize. I'll try Thomspon's manual place again, I think it's still around and maybe they have something I can use as a parts manual. Do you need any parts for your compressors?

I've always thought the original Yak-18 with the M-11FR engine was one of the coolest Soviet planes ever built. There's just something about that five bump cowling that I really like. Can you post some photos?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 pm 

I'm new to this site and do not know how to post a photo yet, I could send them to you if you email me at dougsappllc@gmail.com

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:24 am 

What a amazing post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:24 pm 

I have in my hand the manuals for that pump!

Ed Forsberg (916)949-8872

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:50 am 

Hi All,

This is in reply to an old post I found on the site. Could anyone help me with this type of compressor? I have one that I am using in my own homebuilt submarine. Have a look at my website here.

www.guernseysubmarine.com

Please let me know if anyone is familiar with the Cornelius compressor or can just give some advice?
Many thanks
James