Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:43 pm 

I'm seeking any photos anyone might have out there of B-17 G 42-30280, assigned 482 BG - 812 BS Alconbury, England. This was a Pathfinder (PFF) radar ship lost 21 February 1944 on the Diepholz raid - a strike against a German airfield.

This B-17 was named "Crazy Horse" and fitted with H2X "Mickey" radar.

During this raid, "Crazy Horse" developed a series of mechanical issues and was subsequently attacked by enemy fighters near the German-Dutch border. Unable to return to England, the crew opted to bail out of the stricken aircraft. Pilot Ralph Holcombe was the only casualty of the 11-man crew.

The remains of this a/c were discovered in the summer of 1970 in Lake IJsselmeer, Netherlands, during a public works reclamation project in the area.

Here's a copy and paste link to a neat site containing more info: home.wxs.nl/~stijger/home.htm

Members of the Dutch Royal Air Force recovered several pieces of this aircraft including a propellor blade and hub, some of the radar equipment, and varied pieces of airframe. Several hundred pounds of "Crazy Horse" was crated by the Dutch military and sent back to the United States to McDonnell-Douglas, St. Louis, MO, to take part in a special diagnotic testing and evaluation program to test the effects of harsh exposure upon aerospace materials.

A testing and evaluations branch at MD had been studying pieces of WWII aircraft components salvaged from remote crash sites in different climate zones. Some of the test components came from the B-24 'Lady Be Good' out of the Libyan desert; B-17 'My Gal Sal' from a Greenland ice cap; a Navy F6F recovered from deep water off of San Diego; and B-24 pieces from a jungle in the Pacific. The varied bits and pieces from "Crazy Horse" were examined as well by engineers collecting data that would ultimately be used in designing ICBMs to ensure a better missle "silo life" over an extended period of time.

At the end of the testing and evaluation study, all recovered items were slated for disposal. A few items - most notably an engine from the LBG - were to be given to museums for display. The bulk of the "test" items, however, were deemed as nothing other than scrap and were to have been destroyed. Jim Walker, a historically minded McDonnell-Douglas engineer involved in the testing program decided instead to filter them directly to another "museum" - located in his suburban home's basement and garage. He kept them safe and sound until he passed away 30 years later.

I'm preparing a display of several of the larger pieces of "Crazy Horse" for a local museum. I do not have any photos to share of the airplane, crew, or of the Dutch recovery efforts, which would really round out this display. Can anyone help with a scan or two?

- Rob Kropp
Mesa, AZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:41 pm 

Pooner,
Here are some links to articles on the artist/pilot that did the nose art on the B-17 "Crazy Horse".

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2004/nov/1 ... s_of_wwii/

http://mighty8thaf.preller.us/gallery/366thBS/homer2

Does Jack Cook or anyone on WIX have a photo of the B-17 "Crazy Horse"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:50 pm 

http://home.wxs.nl/~stijger/home.htm

Here's some info I found on the 'net....

C-54D "Spirit of Freedom" 43-17228
C-97 "Angel of Deliverance" 52-2718 (painted as YC-97A 45-59595)
C-54E/R5D-4 "Spirit of Freedom" 44-9144 BuNo 90414 (wfu April/2020)
http://www.spiritoffreedom.org

Post subject: b-17 crazy horse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:45 am 

my dad thomas d.kennedy was on crazy horse feb. 21 1944,,,,,i have 1 pic of the plane and crew, also 1 of dad in uniform. i seen his pow diary once 4 day after he died may 2 2005, now my bitch sister has the diary and won,t give it up. however my cousin Lt. colonel paul mansky is in the process of trying to get the diary. as soon as i gather up all this i will be happy to share,,,, rob kropp,,,, tried to get your phone number,,,with no luck, i was wondering what parts of crazy horse you have and i would sure love a piece of her. thanks for all the info,,,dad never talked of his experiences.

Post subject: CH update
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:54 pm 

(Note to all following this one... I was able to connect with Mr. Kennedy today and got some great information about his late father, who was the Flight Engineer on this ship. I'll be sharing photos of the plane, crew, photos of the recovery work of the plane in the 1970s and the pieces for the pending museum display here shortly. Thanks to all who've been so supportive and helpful to keep this thread - and the leads - alive! - Rob)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:55 pm 

Hello,
I am also looking for information about the B17 Crazy Horse. I am making a short documentary about this plane. I have plenty of pictures of the plane after the crash. If someone has pictures or video of the crew and the plane before the crash I would be very grateful! When the documentary is finished I will place a link here.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Arend Dubbelboer
reporter at Omroep Flevoland, regional broadcaster in the Netherlands