Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hear that the Mosquito T Mk.III TV959 restoration to flight, formerly of the Imperial War Museum Duxford collection and now owned by P. Allen's Flying Heritage Collection, is coming along nicely and perhaps will be shipping to the States very soon? Also may be up and flying by sometime early next year? That would make three of these guys flyers. Who would have thought that 10 years ago. Very cool. .... any truth to this information? Or is it still too soon? Any of you "in the know" types know what scheme this Mossie will wear?

Fantastic work those Avspec'ers do. Quite a talented bunch of folks.

For you facebookers, there's a nice video on both Avspecs page and RetroBomb Magazine's page.

https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/?fref=nf

https://www.facebook.com/retrobombmag/p ... 5105830495

For you non-facebookers, I've posted a few screenshots for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:03 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Flying Heritage Collection just recently posted to Facebook that TV959 will be flying in a few months (as I recall also reading recently, this could be happening as early as August/September), and the aircraft will be shipped to the US during the winter (summer for New Zealand at that time), so that it will be ready to participate in FHC's flying events in 2017 (again, that's according to FHC themselves).

There are some more that are following that one - such as Rod Lewis' example, which I believe the time table has that one being completed next, in 2018.

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Very nice indeed ....

Now if there can be 5 or 6 Mossies 'created' to fly in such a reasonably short time, then isn't it time to get just one Stuka flying? pop2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:24 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'd imagine when the Flying Heritage Collection's Stuka eventually flies for the first time, it will "hit the scene" much as their Il-2 did.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:41 pm 

In this NZ TV interview in April (near the end), Wal Denholm gives August as the flying date for his second Mosquito (Rod Lewis's being the third).

http://tvnz.co.nz/seven-sharp/small-kiw ... eo-6457639

And here is a handy list of NZ projects by KiwiZac.

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/post/237674/thread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:37 pm 
KiwiZac

This project's definitely no rumour! I was at AvSpecs on 4 June and August is still the target for flight in NZ. No photos but fuel tanks looked to be going in, cockpit still has some stuff to go in but both engines are hung. She's looking great.

Rod Lewis' FB.VI PZ474/NZ2384 is the third in the pipeline with AvSpecs, with a target of Easter 2018. Not too clear what's next after that one...B.IV DZ542 is one I'm aware of, but I've no idea who for.

JohnT - same here, I have every expectation that's just what will happen! No amount of preparation will have me ready for that first Stuka photo.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:19 am 

Do mosquito's have counter rotating merlins like the early p-82s?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:33 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

TriangleP, the parts/remains of PZ474/NZ2384 were shipped out from Chino to New Zealand as early as 2014 (as reported by "Classic Wings" at the time). As of late last year, the basic wing and fuselage were already well on their way to completion (all new wood, of course). The goal of having it completed by Easter 2018 may be to see the aircraft performing for the first time at Warbirds Over Wanaka that year.

With regard to FHC's Mosquito, TV959, I believe that one arrived at Avspecs in May 2011, and Avspecs/FHC are, as mentioned already, stating that it could be flying as early as August this year. This is the latest photo of TV959, as recently posted by FHC to their Facebook page (tail surfaces mounted, rigging underway, wiring either completed or near completed, and much of the systems/plumbing nearing completion).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I believe at one point, TV959 was looked at as a candidate for restoration with the original airframe.
I know that one of the wings had been truncated to facilitate a display (ouch :shock: ).
I guess my question is, what will be the fate of the original wooden components, as they were obviously significant?

Any thoughts folks?

Please don't take this as any kind of denigration to Mr. Powell or the Avspecs team. Their work is fantastic.

As proof, I post without apology, the photo of me taxiing out in my Tiger. (taken by friend Airic Dumigan), with one of Avspecs finest in the background.
This has been the screen saver on my computer since Eric showed it to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:24 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I'd bet money that it's a new build fuselage, although, having said that FHC are unequaled sticklers for originality and details.
Any metallic fittings, forgings, brackets etc. would be harvested as patterns or most likely inspection and reuse.
All of the systems components would get the same treatment.
Just a stripped out wooden hulk would remain.
The biggest thing stopping someone from propping it up in their garden as a plaything, would be the owner feeling threatened that the provenance might be challenged. It is something like that, that makes me think that, a lot of history goes in the bin.

Just a thought.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 pm 

Hmmm..474 ? ... Strange, 747 is Mr. Lewis Fav. #....so I was told when I got a chance to visit his place in S.A Tex. Were the remains of PZ474 the ones the CAF had, that I saw in Harlingen many moons ago? ..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:38 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

TriangleP wrote:
Its a good question as to what happened to TV959's original wing parts, in light that the wing had to be totally rebuilt from new (wing structure on a Mossie is one piece). The original, as you write, had half of the starboard wing sawn off. I wonder what components were harvested from the original aircraft to build the new TV959, including the fuselage. Was the fuselage also rebuilt from scratch? Its impossible for me to tell by the pic...but it may be a testament to AvSpecs skill if it is original, it looks new.

Most of these questions are addressed in the current Classic Wings. The original fuselage is available for sale and/or trade

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:54 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Thanks Dave.

Cool news. It would have the potential to make an outstanding display.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:55 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

TriangleP wrote:
DaveM2 wrote:
Most of these questions are addressed in the current Classic Wings. The original fuselage is available for sale and/or trade

Dave, could you confirm with us when Classic Wings reported PZ474 arrived at AvSpecs? Thank you!

"Classic Wings" Vol.20, No.5, Issue 93 - I had it at my desk when I wrote that "Classic Wings" reported PZ474 as being shipped to New Zealand in 2014. :wink:

It would be interesting to learn more from Avspecs about just how many duplicate parts they may have made while working on KA114, and then TV959, to ease in the rebuilding of the following examples that are currently in and/or will be going through their shop. Rather than having to make each new part every step of the way with KA114, by sourcing original parts, finding the drawings, or making the drawings, and then manufacturing the parts (all put in simplest terms), I wonder now if perhaps, having done so much of that sort of thing with KA114, that perhaps now the job is a bit simpler - perhaps so much as already having amassed a certain amount of parts pre-made/on-the-shelf ready. It's every restoration company's dream, I believe, to be able to run such a factory-like production of sorts, with multiple restorations of the same aircraft, as it cuts down on production costs - rather than having to do all of the "gearing-up" for just one aircraft, it helps to spread the cost out if you can do several rebuilds/production runs of the same item - at this time, there is as many as at least 5-6 Mosquito's in all that will have gone/will be going through the Avspecs workshop, having started with KA114, but of different variants though too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:23 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

TriangleP wrote:
DaveM2 wrote:

Dave, could you confirm with us when Classic Wings reported PZ474 arrived at AvSpecs? Thank you!

To AvSpecs -in the current issue (#100)

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com