Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:19 pm 

Is there anyone out there in WIX Land that has current information on the Corsair FG-1D BU. 88026 that Ken McBride acquired from the late Walter Soplata? I was at Walt's place back in 1978, and he showed me a Corsair with the wings folded up under a corrogated shed is this the same Corsair?
Also I just read the article on the L-1A that Pat Harker and crew restored which is a fantastic looking restoration. The article very breifly touched on some of the aircraft currently owned by Pat Harker awaiting restoration.
1. F-82 Twin Mustang I saw the aircraft clear back in 2005 have not heard much about it jsut tidbits of info. Anyone know how close it might be to flying?

2. O-47 and updates

3. the ex Dan Martin P-51D I think under restoration updates?

4. H Model Mustang I new Pat Harker acquired a project, but says a couple of H- Models any updates?

Does FHC have a Stuka and if so anyone know where this aircraft came from and its future status?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

The former Dan Martin "Ridge Runner III" is currently being rebuilt to TF standard by Airmotive Specialties in Salinas, CA. According to Warbirds International the Mustang will be finished in a WWII Pacific scheme.

T J

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:31 am 

Ed Likes wrote:
Is there anyone out there in WIX Land that has current information on the Corsair FG-1D BU. 88026 that Ken McBride acquired from the late Walter Soplata? I was at Walt's place back in 1978, and he showed me a Corsair with the wings folded up under a corrogated shed is this the same Corsair?
Also I just read the article on the L-1A that Pat Harker and crew restored which is a fantastic looking restoration. The article very breifly touched on some of the aircraft currently owned by Pat Harker awaiting restoration.
1. F-82 Twin Mustang I saw the aircraft clear back in 2005 have not heard much about it jsut tidbits of info. Anyone know how close it might be to flying?

2. O-47 and updates

3. the ex Dan Martin P-51D I think under restoration updates?

4. H Model Mustang I new Pat Harker acquired a project, but says a couple of H- Models any updates?

Does FHC have a Stuka and if so anyone know where this aircraft came from and its future status?

1. No idea, as pictures and info have been very little coming. I'm guessing that Harker put the lock down on any updates for that project. I do know that Reilly's F-82 will definitely fly before Harkers, though.

2. No clue, but I'm guessing they probably haven't even started on it yet.

3. See above answer.

4. H Model Mustang- I've heard anecdotally that Harker was not even going to start on the restoration until the F-82 was complete.

Regarding the Stuka. Yes, FHC has a Stuka that came from Russia. It is pretty well documented and there are pictures of it on the internet and in Classic Wings. I've heard that it is going to be a flyer and the Jumo engine is currently at the "Area 51" portion of Nixon's place. How far along is it - I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:01 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Along with some other CAF MN Wing members, I got to tour Pat Harker's hangars back in the fall of 2015, and at the time much of the remaining work on the F-82E centered on just the engines - not only the overhaul/building-up of the engines, but then of course testing them and the props too. At the time, as I recall, Pat mentioned that it may be up to another two-three years (2017/2018) before it is ready to fly. I don't have any current updates, but at the time Pat was working on four Allison G6 engines for it - two lefts and two rights (a spare each) - correct for the F-82E, extremely rare, very powerful variants of the Allison, and with advanced systems to reduce pilot workload. Also, at that time (back in the fall of 2015), the sheet metal work remaining to be done was quite little - as I recall, other than the radiator intake scoops and some fairings (all of which were being worked on at the time), the airframe itself, noses to tail, and wings, were all essentially completed, cockpits completed, internals wired/plumbed, etc. (but with the wings not attached, due to space requirements). On the same visit, the O-47 was in the hangar, but work had not yet started on it at that time (items pertaining to a P-51H were also noted, but I have no further info). As has already been mentioned, the former "Ridge Runner III" is now in the process of rebuild at Airmotive Specialties (as recently published). Talking about the TF-conversion back in 2015, Pat mentioned an interest in a green-tailed Iwo Jima scheme, such as "Hel-Eter".

One of the cockpits of the Harker F-82E: https://www.facebook.com/maxair2airpict ... =3&theater