Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 187  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:23 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Its that time of year here again, the Collings are operating out of NASA Moffett and the two big bombers have been rumbling around the hills here in the West Valley. :)
I have also heard the Mustang, but it was long gone by the time i could look for it. 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 am 

Yankee Doodle Dandy in Dayton on Friday.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:05 am 

At 14.50 CET a very nice looking OV-10B Bronco moving north-east at only 1200 ft.
According to Dutchradar it is in private ownership in the UK.
Probably on it's way to Oostwold airshow.

Eric

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Saturday was the annual Felts Field Neighbor Day.

John Sessions brought over his P-51B, L-20, F8F, TBM (technically not his but considered part of the collection), and DC-3 in prewar Pan Am markings and a 1950s corporate interior.
The Beaver and the "3" sold rides, while the others did a nice flying display.
It was great fun to see the TBM taxi out, close the bomb bay doors and unfold its wings.
Addison Pemberton flew his newly completed Goose, as did the local T-28 (natural metal in USAF markings).
Also, the local Stearman formation group did a three ship fly-by. A New Standard sold biplane rides as did the local helicopter training operation...they kept 2 R-44s busy all day.

All free and well attended.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

^^^ Boy, that sounds like a fun little event! 8)

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quite a bit of fun.
Sessions is a local guy who made good in Seattle, so he brings something fun every year. Last year he brought his B-25 and Mustang, the year before that, he brought his beautiful Spitfire. Best of all, they're not roped off, you can go up and...heaven forbid...touch the thing.

I had a brief conversation with Sessions about his latest announced acquired, a d.h. Rapide bi-plane twin. He told me about two other aircraft in the pipeline, plus one he wanted to keep to himself until a deal is done.

I also spoke with the Bearcat pilot, as you might guess he loves the thing.

Also displayed and flown, but no aerobatics, was the recently restored ex-Mira Slovic, ex-Ernie Gann, Bucker Jungmann. It's owned by Mark Schauffhausen, whose dad John, had a F4U-7 which he flew in Black Sheep Squadron.

Other statics included a visiting WACO YMF, Addison Pemberton's Custom Cabin WACO and his rare Senior Speedmail "square tail" Stearman, plus another that recently came to Felts for a local owner. There is also one in Lewiston, ID and counting the pair in Reno, most of the flying survivors are within an easy flight. The local Howard DGA was out, as was Larry Howard's Laird and Sopwith Pup replica.
A pair of guys also arrived in what must be the world's finest Cessna 140. Polished aluminum with red factory trim, a beautiful stock interior and panel (albeit with modern radios, but they kept the old ARC/Cessna units, and it even has its original 1949 headliner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:25 pm 

Saw a very fast single (radial) engined fighter flying due east over Madison WI this afternoon around 17:00 CDT. Appeared to be dark blue overall with some white trim; similar colors to Bob Odegaard's Race #74. Straight wing, too fast to be a Wildcat; smaller than a Spad. Bearcat, maybe? Too dark a blue (I think) to be John O'Connor's Blue Angels example. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hellcat?
T-28?
Yak/Chinese Yak?

You obviously know what might be in your neighborhood, but there are more T-28s out there than Bearcats.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:01 pm 

Thought of those - definitely not a Yak-52 or CJ-6A; sounded very R-2800-ish, not at all like a T-28. I'd still bet money on Bearcat; I'm just not aware of any in this area since O'Connor's left Tab-air. Definitely saw a BT-13/15 make a pass over Prescott, WI today at 19:15 CDT, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:46 pm 

Well, it wasn't exactly flying but I saw a KC-97 fuselage heading eastbound on I-10, east of Tucson on Monday, 6/19. Two wide loads with front and back halves. It looked a bit rough, but someone cared enough about it to pay for two big trucks. Kept looking for more trucks with wings on them. No joy.

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:36 am 

N13FY North American AT-6A Texan (1941) flying a couple of circles at aprox. 2500 feet right in front of my house in Zeist (The Netherlands). And then she flew straight over it, probably on her way to Loosdrecht airfield on a sunny Sunday afternoon at 17.10 CET.

Eric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:25 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

June 3 -- I got to see a C-5 Galaxy taking off from Dover AFB, Delaware. As I watched the great ship climbing away from the base, it occurred to me that I've never before seen one take off! Cool! (no, I didn't get pics or video as I was in the car passing by the base on Highway 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:34 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

One thing more fun than seeing a C-5 take off is hearing a C-5 take off!

(I still want to hear a B-36 make a low pass with all ten turnin' and burnin'. May be waiting a while for that one, though.)

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just returned from Lewiston, ID where the Collings Foundation was flying their B-17, B-24 and "D" Mustang. They did a good business with Mustang flights with about 8 on July 4th and a couple this morning.

Nothing says July 4th like watching warbirds fly!

The Radials N' Rivers fly in had a bunch of PT-Stearmans, 3 Ryans (PT-22, STA, STW), and a highlight was 4 of the 5-6 Stearman Speedmails that regularly fly....in addition to the sole flying Boeing 40 and other "Golden age" classics.

Also, the recently restored Pemberton JRF Goose in USN colors.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:40 pm 

I saw a Grumman TBM flying just north of Wellington Ohio this evening. Thanks to photo bucket I guess I'll just have to post a link to my photo until I find another photo hosting web site that I want to use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18255225@ ... ed-public/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 187  Next