Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Latest Classic Wings
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

All, latest issue just out:

Main Features as follows:

RENO: The Little Yak that Could!

As the dust settled on another successful National Championship Air Race in Reno, Nevada (aka the world’s fastest motor sport), the thrilling Gold Unlimited Class final ensured it would be one to remember. James Consalvi flying P-51 ‘Strega’ edged long time rival Steve Hinton Jr. who was piloting P-51 ‘Voodoo.’ In doing so both aircraft lapped the rest of the field, which consisted of Hawker Sea Furies and a solitary Allison powered Yak-3U. The latter had travelled all the way from Omaka, New Zealand, was flown by a rookie race pilot with big dreams and was supported by a motley crew with a ‘can do ‘ Kiwi attitude. Here pilot Graeme Frew and engineer Jay McIntyre describe the full Reno experience- a huge learning curve which has left them wanting more!

SWIFT TO THE SKY

On 20th November Ryan Southam lifted Comper Swift, VH-UVC, off the grass for a 15 minute test flight, the first time in some 80 years the type had flown from Omaka (NZ) airfield. The previous Swift to do so was the last of the 1930 built aircraft and the only newly built example to come to New Zealand. Following an overview of the type’s history, this article takes an in-depth look at VH-UVC, now one of only a handful flying. The aircraft has an interesting history, it finally coming to grief in a landing accident back in 1962, thereafter being passing through the hands of several before being purchased by Roy Fox of Sydney who entrusted JEM Aviation to return it to the sky-at times a frustrating process! The narrative is supported by superb air to air images courtesy of Gavin Conroy, period snapshots and numerous restoration photos.

REVIVAL OF THE T-6 PILOT MAKER

If there is one aircraft type in all the world of ex-military or vintage aviation that has been roundly taken for granted, it has to be the North American Aviation T-6 Texan, SNJ or Harvard-the famously dubbed ‘PILOT MAKER.’ Perhaps it is down to the old adage that ‘familiarity breeds contempt’ but the world’s single most populous warbird type and arguably the most important when it comes to providing the skills it was originally intended to furnish, tends to get treated as something of a ‘doormat’ by many within the warbird world. There are numerous reasons for this, one being that Eastern Bloc options like the Nanchang CJ-6a and Yak-52 that softened the market, offering more bang for the buck. However there is reason for optimism and we are starting to see the beginning of a T-6 renaissance of sorts. In this first of a two part feature the Editor looks at the state of play with regards to the Pilot Maker, whilst Dave Currie details how he is training new pilots on the type.

Mystery Aeroplane: NAKAJIMA C6N SAIUN

The Imperial Japanese Navy and Imperial Japanese Army Air Force were well aware of the value of long range reconnaissance aircraft given the vastness of the Pacific and produced some outstanding aircraft to fulfil such roles, the superb Ki-46 Dinah being one of the most well known types. The little known but impressive C6N was however a cut above the rest. In this article we detail the type’s design and development, its operational service and round out with a look at the very few survivors, one of which is in long term storage and another which has been rescued from its wartime resting place.

AIRSHOWS DOWNUNDER 2018

With 2018 looming and many people, both locally based and also visiting from the Northern Hemisphere, planning to travel within Australia and New Zealand throughout the year, we thought we really needed to lay out something of a road map covering significant aviation events taking place within the region over the next 12 months. Happily, there are many to choose from, spread right across the year. As with all air shows, make sure you get out and support them, they are vital in keeping aviation at the forefront of people’s hearts and minds, whether enthusiasts of not. This benefits not only the ‘industry’ but trickles down to the next generation of budding pilots and restorers, whilst getting the local communities onside and realizing the value of their local airfield- all too often under threat these days.

Since it is the end of the year, what about a small (and easy competition). Free copy to the first three people who identify the colour scheme of the T-6 on the cover.

All the best for the Festive Season and 2018, and thanks for all your support throughout the past year.

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

Post subject: Re: Latest Classic Wings
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:19 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

:drink3:

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:36 pm 
KiwiZac

Do I get a one-issue extension to my recently-renewed sub for guessing the gorgeous photo on the cover is of a South African Air Force-marked machine? Extra points for knowing it is 7660, long in New Zealand as ZK-XSA and now based at Omaka? geek

Also, did I win the P-40 ride on Facebook?

Thanks Dave, Graham and the CW crew for another year of wonderful issues. I can't wait to get this one in the post.

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:57 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Had the pleasure of Meeting Dave and Graham at Omaka last month. What great people! Dave gave me a tour of the museum and showed me around the airfield a bit.

New Zealand is such a beautiful country if you ever have a chance to visit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:26 am 

South African Air Force T-6 :drink3:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:37 pm 

I let my subscription lapse while paying all the bills with the house build. Thought after 7 months I could now safely get current again. Dave must have remembered how famous I am with my Auster rebuild as the latest issue appeared in my mailbox mere days after renewing. And a great issue and learned how not to fly a T6/Harvrad (not that I plan to!) :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:25 am 

Dave,
Could you please contact me via brograATlive.nl regarding the latest issue. I have moved house at the beginning of November and sent a change of address through the CW website in October, again in December and earlier this week and several messages through Facebook but no answer back.
I haven't received the magazine.
Cheers
Cees

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:54 am 

Dave,
You have a really great magazine. Thanks for using a couple of my shots in it. It was pretty cool to look on the title page and see one of them, and another used for the Reno title pic.

Cheers,
Will

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Cees, for some reason none of those messages were received, email sent.

Will, thanks for the kind comments, and also for the use of the photos, pity there wasn't space for more!

Brenden, check your PMs

cheers
Dave

https://www.classicwings.com/

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicWingsMagazine/

Preserved Axis Aircraft

http://www.classicwings.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:33 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Another happy reader here from Belgium! Awesome magazine :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:23 am 

also got mine at the end of the way... great way to commute back home ;)

If you want pictures, see rreis@flickr