Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:14 am 
As reported today on http://www.aero-news.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:23 am 
S/N Geek

Missing something? :wink:

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject: Teething Problems
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:53 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

I screwed up. I went to modify the original post involving the B-17 crash and I accidently removed the whole topic. Hazards of new software I guess. Sorry for any inconvenience.

:oops:

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:06 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Video here:

http://kcbsimg.dayport.com/htm/cbs2player.htm?Art_ID=2643&tf=World%20War%20II%20Bomber%20Slides%20To%20Safe%20Halt%20In%20Van%20Nuys%20Belly%20Landing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:16 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Rob Mears wrote:

Definately went down hard! They showed video this morning of yesterday's recovery using a crane to get it back on its gear.

I saw the B-17 flying out of Long Beach last Friday...

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:16 am 

I was talking with Bob Odegaard this morning, he quizzed me "Can you raise the gear on the DC-3 on the ground?" I replied, "Absolutely" He said, "Wrong, but you can lower the fuselage!"

An earlier post here talked about a squat switch on the B17. I am not a B17 driver and cannot speak to that, but on the B-25, DC-3, and PBY there is no squat switch. You can lower the fuselage at anytime by moving the lever.

I am not implying that is what happened, but most WWII airplanes had no protection for such an occurence.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:21 pm 

DougR wrote:
An earlier post here talked about a squat switch on the B17.

I saw that post as well, but now cannot find it... is it missing, or am I doing something wrong with the new message board format? :?

=R=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:59 pm 
S/N Geek

See Scott's comments above about accidentally deleting the topic. It is a new forum and mistakes will be made.

Mike

http://www.facebook.com/AerialVisuals

Do you want to find locations of displayed, stored or active aircraft? Then start with the The Locator.
Do you want to find or contribute to the documented history of an aircraft? If so then start with the Airframes Database.

Post subject: gear up
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:49 pm 

B-25, it is possible to although i think kind of hard. the military went out of its way to solve the problem of the gear being inadvertantly retracted on the ground. for the 25 you have to first remove the wire clip that holds the gear lever down the position a small lever/switch in the up position and then finally move the gear handle to the up position that relieces the up-locks and positions the hyd control valve to port hyd oil in the right direction. don't know about the 17 but my guess is that with all the mil and civil use after the war that it has a similar setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:59 pm 

mrhenniger wrote:
See Scott's comments above about accidentally deleting the topic. It is a new forum and mistakes will be made.

Mike

Mike - I read that, and understand mistakes with new software (I write software applications for a living). I thought I read the post about the switch *after* I saw Mike's 'deletion' message - it was a separate thread, I believe, started last night right after it happened. I could easily be wrong. Besides, I'm not overly concerned that things were inadvertantly deleted - just that I may not be utilizing the new board correctly. :)

=R=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:27 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

P51DFltLn wrote:
mrhenniger wrote:

Mike

Mike - I read that, and understand mistakes with new software (I write software applications for a living). I thought I read the post about the switch *after* I saw Mike's 'deletion' message - it was a separate thread, I believe, started last night right after it happened. I could easily be wrong. Besides, I'm not overly concerned that things were inadvertantly deleted - just that I may not be utilizing the new board correctly. :)

=R=

The deletion occurred this morning. The entire thread got deleted. I made a backup of it before I deleted it but for some reason when I deleted the backup the original went went with it. I don't know why it happened but I know how so it shouldn't happen again. :?

So its not you, its me (whoa, just had flash backs to an ex-girlfriend)

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:58 pm 

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems with the video link? Every time I try to open it, it shuts down my browser........ :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:10 pm 

Thanks for the description, Rob. I's more than this @#$@%^#% computer wants me to know!

Post subject: Aluminum Overcast
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:17 pm 

Col. Rohr wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just got done watching the Video, If you look closely it appears that the Tail Wheel was un-lock so it can be be pulling the tail-wheel lock.

It appears some-one grabbbed the gear instead of the flap handle, watch the video in slow-motion notice how the right main retracts.

Also it appears she might have sufford a Bellie Turret rupture thru the top of the Fus. if so then we are looking at a long down time from rebuild.

Either way you slices it not a good day at all.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the tailwheel lock/unlock issue. There could be any of several things going on there. The tailwheel will shimmy severely if too much weight is on the tail. There is an aluminum shear bolt that will "unlock" the tailwheel, if too much shimmy or other sideload is put on it. If the tailwheel was trying to retract too, no telling how it would behave with the weight still on it. My guess is that it was locked. Otherwise, they would likely have ventured much farther from the runway center line, depending on the winds.

"Handle" is a misnomer in this case. The gear and flap controls are actually just toggle switches on the B-17. They were designed long before the FAA mandated standardized control shapes. The gear switch is a three-position toggle (up, neutral/off, down). It must be pulled out to release it to move from the neutral position. It must be manually returned to neutral after the gear movement is complete.

It does look like the ball turret brace punctured the top of the fuselage. I hadn't noticed that before when I watched the video. One thing that *may* mitigate the damage to the fuselage is that the wheels don't retract all the way into the nacelles on B-17s. Maybe they helped reduce the impact. Wishful thinking anyway.

Blake
Volunteer - Lone Star Flight Museum
crew chief - Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress "Thunderbird"

Post subject: Aluminum overcast
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:51 am 

Early photos:
http://www.aero-news.net (the article title is 'How bad was it')

Update information (and more photos) from Van Nuys:
http://www.beechcraft.org/b17-accident/

=R=