Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:34 pm 

Is the C-97 still coming? Didn't see any mention of it on the EAA page.

Wish the E-4 was doing it's flyby mid week, not sure if I can stick around a whole week till the following Sunday, even though I have a hotel booked.

Any word on what is showing up for the RAF 100th Anniversary? so far just heard a few Cold War Era RAF jets, a few spitfires, hurricanes and rumors of Tiger Moths. Is the Lancaster or Mossy coming? What about modern era RAF stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I believe the Mosquito is scheduled to be there.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/featu ... N25RIn0%3D

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

phil65 wrote:
I believe the Mosquito is scheduled to be there.

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/featu ... N25RIn0%3D

Phil

That would appear to be Kermit Week's example which lives in Oshkosh 24/7 now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Boeing666 wrote:
Is the C-97 still coming?...

No. Earlier this year the BAHF event schedule listed Oshkosh as tentative, but later removed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum is planning to bring this traveling display of restored military glider trainers.

We all know what a challenge it is to schedule a flying display during Airventure, but how cool would it be to see a TG-6 demo with 3 on board like they trained during the war?

https://www.facebook.com/WAAAMuseum/

Last edited by Dan K on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's neat, the WAAAM is really growing, the EAA show will be a good place to become better known.

IIRC, according to their website, they have examples of the L-2 through 6...and most fly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And the DH-4 gets her wings...

https://www.facebook.com/friendsofjenny/

Last edited by Dan K on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:03 pm 

Dan K wrote:
The Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum is planning to bring this traveling display of restored military glider trainers.

We all know what a challenge it is to schedule a flying display during Airventure, but how cool would it be to see a TG-6 demo with 3 on board like they trained during the war?

Wow, that is one of the most surprising updates of the last couple of years. How cool would that be indeed!

But if 'skydiving has always been a part of AirVenture' (see this news item), then surely gliding has been at least as big a part? In other words: let's hope the stage has been set.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:41 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Regarding the RAF 100 flight, here's the landing page for the aircraft being featured:

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/featu ... f-aircraft

I would expect a mix of these types in the air for the RAF 100 flight, obviously excluding the Mosquito since it isn't flyable. At the very least, I'm hoping for a Spitfire or two in the mix. I don't think we'll see any Hurricanes. John Terrell's thread only lists two airworthy Hurricanes in North America, neither of which seem like candidates to make the trip to Oshkosh. I was hoping for something from Canadian Warplane Heritage, but haven't seen any indication that they will be sending anything.

Is Collings Foundation bringing anything this year? I did see they have a PT-19 Cornell listed on the Warbirds in Review schedule.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:16 pm 

What happened to that flyable Mosquito? There was one flying a couple years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:34 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The Mosquito that flew at Oshkosh a few years back (2015) was Jerry Yagen's, which isn't scheduled to attend (he only brings aircraft there if they are new restorations, for awards). The one that is listed on EAA's website for this year is the Kermit Weeks example which is always at Oshkosh (displayed in the EAA Museum), which hasn't flown since 1990 - in 2015, when Yagen had his Mosquito at Oshkosh, EAA towed the Weeks Mosquito over so that they could have two together on the grounds. As mentioned, there are currently only two flying Hurricanes based in all of North America, now that the Hurricane previously owned by Vintage Wings of Canada was sold and is now based in Belgium. The Paul Allen/FHC Hurricane never leaves the airspace around Everett, and so that would leave Jerry Yagen's Hurricane as the only possible candidate to have one at Oshkosh - but again, it isn't scheduled to/no mention of any Hurricanes attending.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:13 pm 

Didn't realize that there were so few Hurricanes left. I didn't realize that the Canadian Warbird Heritage Museum's "Hurricane" was a replica too.

No wonder Bruce Dickinson said if he had several million he'd own a Hurricane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFAHC-KNIlo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:16 pm 

Someone told me at Oshkosh last year that they listed expected arrival times on certain military and warbird aircraft somewhere on the grounds, or is that on a site? I would be interested in knowing so that I could get near the edge of the runway this year instead of having to make a run from the vintage section or wherever I was when the F-15 was shooting approaches

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:27 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

The EAA's B-25 "Berlin Express" is getting closer and closer to being ready to fly soon. Just in-time for the up-coming Oshkosh airshow, the aircraft is having its North African theatre markings applied (photo from the EAA Chapter 237 Facebook page): https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5BE846A7

More here: https://www.facebook.com/EAA237/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It appears the Warbirds in Review agenda for Wednesday has morphed slightly.

In the morning, Mike Potter's Spitfire Mk IX and Curtiss P-40.

And in the afternoon, Cavanaugh's A-1H "Wiley Coyote" will be joining AD-1 "Bad News" from WHF.

(Schedule gleaned from Warbirds of America facebook)

https://www.facebook.com/EAAWarbirds/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 25  Next