Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:54 am 

I don't know if this is the correct place for this question, so feel free to move it somewhere else if I got it wrong.

I will be visiting the Dallas-Fort Worth area in early October and may have a day, perhaps two, to spare. I'll probably stay somewhere in the Northern part of Dallas and will most likely have a car available. What would you suggest I do or visit if I want to fill those days with historic aviation themed stuff? A quick google has shown me that there are some museums in the area (Frontiers of Flight, Cavanaugh, etcetera) but I probably will have to choose between them if I want to keep my itinerary somewhat sane. I haven't even looked at driving times. So I'm hoping that some of you experts will have some useful tips for me. Thanks in advance!

It won't be my first trip to the US, having visited New York and large parts of southern Florida (including all the usual suspects in the way of aviation museums there) before. But I've never been further west than Tampa...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:43 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Addison Airport:
- Cavanaugh Flight Museum

Dallas Love Field:
- Frontiers of Flight

Fort Worth Meacham Airport:
- Vintage Flying Museum
- Fort Worth Aviation Museum

Lancaster Airport:
- CAF DFW Wing
- Cold War Air Museum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:14 pm 
Senior Moderator

If you are staying in North Dallas, Cavanaugh and Frontiers of Flight will be your best bets. The Vintage Flying Museum and Fort Worth Aviation Museum at Meacham are very interesting. The VFM is a working hangar and they may not be open during weekdays. The FWAM is a static museum with some interesting airplanes and a lot of Fort Worth aviation history ion display, same goes for them on weekdays.

Don't forget the CR Smith Museum on the American Airlines campus. (If you like the AA airline angle of things.)

Cold War Air Museum is no longer operating, and the CAF hangar at Lancaster is only open on Saturdays. The CAF HQ at Dallas Executive does not currently have anything to see.

Travel times in the DFW area can vary greatly depending on the time of day.

Cavanuagh to Frontiers of Flight can vary between 20 minutes and one hour.

Love Field to the Vintage Flying Museum in Fort Worth can take 40 minutes to an hour and half.

Don't depend on going anywhere quickly during AM and PM rush hour.

Join us for the Texas Warbird Report on WarbirdRadio.com!
Image http://www.facebook.com/WarbirdRadio
Listen at http://www.warbirdradio.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:54 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Ztex wrote:
If you are staying in North Dallas, Cavanaugh and Frontiers of Flight will be your best bets. The Vintage Flying Museum and Fort Worth Aviation Museum at Meacham are very interesting. The VFM is a working hangar and they may not be open during weekdays. The FWAM is a static museum with some interesting airplanes and a lot of Fort Worth aviation history ion display, same goes for them on weekdays.

Don't forget the CR Smith Museum on the American Airlines campus. (If you like the AA airline angle of things.)

Cold War Air Museum is no longer operating, and the CAF hangar at Lancaster is only open on Saturdays. The CAF HQ at Dallas Executive does not currently have anything to see.

Love Field to the Vintage Flying Museum in Fort Worth can take 40 minutes to an hour and half.

The cold war museum is still there and if one wants to drive out there, they are usually working on something and the doors might be open. There are several T-6's around and one C-140A that I know of 8). If you go on Fridays, The Taxi Way Café and Steaks on special.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:21 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Ztex wrote:
The CAF HQ at Dallas Executive does not currently have anything to see.

But they might in October per the upcoming event: http://wingsoverdallas.org/ Right now I think I can see a Beech 18, Val replica, and probably two more aircraft in the HQ hangar and other stuff seems to drop by every week or every other week.

The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD. - Prov. 21:31 - Train, Practice, Trust.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The C.R. Smith museum just South of DFW is a must-see since it's so close.
Even if you're a warbird-centric enthusiast it's worth to see the DC-3, if for no other reason than it's the Genesis of the C-47.

If you're a Fate is the Hunter book fan, it's worth it to stand where Gann likely stood in the Flagship Knoxville.

And there is a subtle tribute to the AA crews and pax lost on 9-11.

Isn't there a small museum with military jets in the area? I've seen it here and IIRC, it's not at an airport.

It's a 200 mile drive, but Dyess AFB near Abilene has a fine collection, though I can't say how difficult access is theses days. But a B-1, C-130 and P-40 replica are near the front gate and a Phantom is at a nearby school off-base.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:57 am 

Check with C.R. Smith before going. It's been closed for remodeling and may still not be re-opened. New displays will include the restored nose section of my beloved MD-80!

Craig

Facebook Groups:

U.S. Marine Corps Sikorsky HRS / CH-19 Helicopter Database
U.S. Coast Guard Sikorsky HO4S / HH-19 Helicopter Database

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:50 am 

IF you do get out to VFM during the week, there is always someone here. If you ask nice and put a little something in the donation box for the museum, most of us would be more than happy to let you in. Asking nice and not just wandering in is key. !!!!!WARNING!!!!! The hangar has a few really grumpy warbird guys. !!!!WARNING!!!!
VFM is very unique. There are a lot of really cool, and in some cases, rare airplanes here. They may not have the spit and polish of CFM or Frontiers, unique nonetheless and well worth the visit.

USN Ret
Recip FE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 am 

Thank you all for the really useful replies! I'll see if I can manipulate my schedule in such a way as to have a day and a half available, aiming for two days. I think I'll aim for VFW, Cavanaugh and Frontiers of Flight initially, but I'll try to squeeze C.R. Smith in there as well, depending on the available time. I'll have to do a bit more planning on this, but feel free to add to these suggestions in the meantime.
Quote:
!!!!!WARNING!!!!! The hangar has a few really grumpy warbird guys. !!!!WARNING!!!!
VFM is very unique. There are a lot of really cool, and in some cases, rare airplanes here. They may not have the spit and polish of CFM or Frontiers, unique nonetheless and well worth the visit.

Really cool and rare is always good and I can certainly handle a bit of dirt, grime and exhaust staining on an airframe. I'm not sure about the grumpy guys though.... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:17 pm 

If you want a road trip come to Breckenridge and see a lot of warbirds under restoration.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ztex wrote:

Is the Cold War Air Museum closed for good??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:49 pm 

Ztex wrote:

No kidding!

AND the TOLL ROADS!

Make sure your Garman is up to date and don't forget your "Slee-Zee" pass.

Ol' Sam is probably rollin' in his grave...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:37 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Pat Carry wrote:
Ztex wrote:

Is the Cold War Air Museum closed for good??

I don't think so as was told by the owner that they weren't shutting down. I'm on the road but will get some intel when I get back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:33 pm 

I hadn't realised Breckenridge is that close! It's a good tip, but I think I'll focus on the museums that are a bit closer first. If the traffic does try to get in the way of my plans, I might have to shorten the trip anyway. I'll also have a look at the toll roads situation by that time. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:04 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Archer wrote:
I hadn't realised Breckenridge is that close! It's a good tip, but I think I'll focus on the museums that are a bit closer first. If the traffic does try to get in the way of my plans, I might have to shorten the trip anyway. I'll also have a look at the toll roads situation by that time. Thanks again!

Its about an 3 hour drive from the DFW area but well worth it...