Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:13 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Wow. I just heard of this.
Mel Gibson is doing prep work on a PTO film (someone I know recently built a shooting model of the USS Laffey for his production company for camera angles) and Tom Hanks is doing a PTO Navy film as well, but I don't know the details of either.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:17 pm 

Saville wrote:
Yeah the problem with "almost documentaries" is that it's like sitting in a lecture hall and all information you receive is spoken:

"Now we're down to the Observer Corps"

Unless you like airplanes the movie isn't entertaining. And if it's not entertaining it doesn't make money. And if it doesn't make money the kinds of things we like to see on the screen don't get made.

And that's the second aspect of this: people who love to see movies with airplanes represent a small fraction of the movie-going public We like the flying iron: to most people they are no more important than the cars used in other movies.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, writing a WWII air combat movie script that is both informative and entertaining is really hard. So I'm not getting my hopes if for this movie or for Ridley Scott's BoB.

Indeed. See the struggle in getting a Dambusters script that people want to put their money behind.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:10 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Heard they just cast Scarlet Johansen to play Admiral Yamamoto :axe:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:49 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

dbrown wrote:

dbrown, do you have a larger scan of this image? I'd really love to see it!
What was the source?

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:41 pm 

It was out of a 1969 cinematography magazine. I'll see if I can find the original and scan again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 pm 

Here you go Chris.

I finally found some time to get out the magazine and blow up some of the pics. I took photos so they came out a bit pixilated from the mag print.

From looking at the pics a couple thoughts come to mind -they REALLY went all out with these models. I did not realize until I studied the pics that they must have built all the carriers - not just the Kaga or Akagi you see mostly in the film. Plus the scenes of the ships assembling in the harbor would have been some cool scenes to see on film. Maybe next year they will put out a 50th anniversary box set with ALL the lost footage of the models. And behind the scenes videos would be way cool to see.

Even the obscure harbor tug and the Vestal are incredibly detailed.

Lastly I added a couple pics from my collection - not only did they go all out on the models but the full size mock up of the battleship was amazing to see.

And the Zero landing on Lexington is priceless. LOL

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:55 pm 

That's pretty cool. I've made a couple of large scale warship props in the 11 foot range, but these have way more detail. Kudos to the builders.

Last edited by Adam Kline on Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:00 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow...look at the scale of this mock up!!!! impressive....

Tks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:01 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Amazing, dbrown! Thanks so much. :D
One of my fellow model builders is working on a diorama of a Chevy crew cab truck towing the miniature Akagi on a trailer, like the driver had just bought it at the Fox studio sale in the early '70s. He'll appreciate seeing this too!

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Chris Brame wrote:
Amazing, dbrown! Thanks so much. :D
One of my fellow model builders is working on a diorama of a Chevy crew cab truck towing the miniature Akagi on a trailer, like the driver had just bought it at the Fox studio sale in the early '70s. He'll appreciate seeing this too!

I love it! I'm working on an ancient 1/72nd Airfix P-40E that I was planning on making into one of the two flyable examples they used in Tora! Tora! Tora! Complete with a camera crew and 70mm camera (I think I'm going to have to scratch build that). I also requested a designer on Shapeways to make the 1940 Mercery convertible they used. https://www.shapeways.com/product/72TJCVFUY/1-72-1940-mercury-eight-convertible-kit?optionId=65752432&li=marketplace

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:00 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Warbird Kid wrote:
I also requested a designer on Shapeways to make the 1940 Mercury convertible they used.

Hmm. Check with him before you lay down cash - his photo shows a '40 Ford (the Merc body is very different, especially in the rear :? )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:31 pm 

Here are some other TTT Images.

Some close ups of a model battleship – check out the piping along the bottom from front to back. I assume this is to spray some sort of soap mixture to make the foam wake that you see in the film.

Also check out the Kaga and model subs. There were no scenes of the subs leaving Japan so maybe some more lost footage for the 50th anniversary edition.

The carrier mock-up is amazing. It appears that the elevator is functional. Would have been something to see that side by side with the full size mock-up of the Nagato.

I always wondered if they used this same mock up for the TOHO movie “I bombed Pearl Harbor”? It also looked like they filmed take off’s during the day – so perhaps they intended to show the second wave taking off and that ended up on the cutting room floor due to time? I read where they had to cut a lot of film out to even get the length they did. Still a long movie and the theater release actually had an intermission. Just think of all that extra footage that might be archived somewhere.

I was 6 years old when the movie came out and pestered my dad to take me. He finally relented and we went to a drive in movie. We had a station wagon and me and my brother laid on top of the car on a blanket. I remember how excited I was to see this film, as I was a nut for anything with wings.

The only thing I remember is my dad waking me up. I think I saw the first 20 minutes and was sooooo disappointed when I woke up – only to see the credits rolling and the ships in flames. My dad assumed me and my brother were loving every minute of it and in fact we slept through 90% of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:37 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Wow so they did really built a functional runway/carrier on a beach!!!!! Impressive

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 am 

Read on a militaria forum that for the Midway remake
Quote:
Full sized replicas of SBDs and TBDs have been built and an effort made to outfit them with period-correct items, such as seatbelts, oxygen systems, radio sets, etc

Anybody heard about any TBD replicas being started, let alone finished?

Mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 am 

Thanks for posting all the pics! My wife and I spent the first week of June on base at Pearl Harbor/Hickam (nephew is based there). They have left a lot of damage unrepaired from the attack to serve as a reminder. The baracks are now offices but the exterior is still pockmarked and inside you can find bullet holes through steel stair stringers and door frames.

Steve

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next