Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Should WIX require real names as your username?
Yes 24%  24%  [ 17 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Fine as it is 63%  63%  [ 45 ]
Total votes : 71
 Post subject: Real Name vs. Username
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:08 am 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Hello all,
I just want to get the communities feel for this subject. Should WIX require using your real name as your username or continue to allow "handles" and a more anonymous usage of the site?

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I’d hate to have to start using my own name. It’s been much more fun using someone else’s name to blame my bad posts on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

If the forum went to that, people would each just be using a name, and there'd be no real way to know if said name was accurate.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:15 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

I cringe at the thought of using my name. I would say it is a privacy issue, but that didn't stop me from using my name on Facebook. Maybe I should fix that, but it is hard to reconnect with old friends on Facebook if you have a nom de plum. For WIX friends, I learned their handle first and their real name through more detailed interactions. I never found it to be a problem or a hindrance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:29 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It wouldn't bother me having the info buried in the user info, for member's use only. Public display should be by user's choice only.
I often answer queries from other members via my outside email, so as to keep the back traffic on the site down.
I don't do fakebook, dimtwit, instagarbage or any of the other social media junk as there is too much tracking and data harvesting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You should never write anything if you're unwilling to put your name on it.
Yes, that sounds like advice a kindly father would give a kid in the '40s, but it still has currency. Makes people a bit more responsible.

If one is that concerned about privacy, they I'd suggest they have no business using social media.
Using real names might restore some civility, reduce snarky comments and trolling.

But basically, it forces people to "man up" and take some responsibility for their comments (responsibility, what a concept!).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:27 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I had a handle when I first joined WIX, which was the first site of anything on the internet that I had ever joined!
Within just a couple of months, I changed it to my name. I am proud to defend or own any of my posts and felt that it would do my more good if people knew who I was. I haven't regretted it once.
I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing to have a handle, so I think it's fine, just not for me.
Jerry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:19 pm 

I like my handle but have no problem signing my name to a comment
Hub Plott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:20 pm 

thunderbolt47d wrote:
I like my handle but have no problem signing my name to a comment
Hub Plott

Hub, I always associate your name with Thunderbolts anyway!

CB

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:50 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I use my own name in most of the forums where I participate. One exception is a forum where the rules push you to use a "handle" other than your name. Another is the AOPA board, where there is so much jackassery, I don't want my name associated with any of that.

I think using your real name encourages responsibility and careful consideration before you go off on someone or post something inappropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:53 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I never understood why some folks are adamant about keeping their real name under wraps, but what do I know? I'd hate for a possible worthwhile contributor to decline participation because he can't use a call sign in lieu of his actual name, so I voted "fine as is". I wish everyone would use their real names in case I know 'em, and also post location because I always find that bit interesting. But as long as they're sharing knowledge, experience, wisdom, pictures, etc., I certainly won't complain.

Thanks for all you do, Scott!

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I use my first name and my last name initial. I have no issues with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:10 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I have no problem at all with things as they are here. I usually post as "Wingman" on most sites, but ended up by chance using my real name here. Even on those other sites I usually use my own name as a sign off at the end of the post. I'm known for my photography and am happy to have my name associated with my images. So I'm fine either way, but I don't think everybody using real (or assumed) names would particularly improve my WIX experience...

---Wingman Photo---

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:11 am 

Scott,

I'm not sure that increasing the anonymity of this site would necessarily be a positive step.

I chose to have a handle when I signed up but nowadays couldn't care less as I usually sign off with my given name.

Whatever you choose then I'll go with the majority vote.

Barry

Johnny's Mother : "Don't be silly Dear - you can't do both!"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:47 am 

Any site that requires a real name becomes inactive real quick. Also if you do that then access to the site should only be for the real name members so the general public can not see the real names. In this day and age its just too dangerous, in the old days we all could have just used our social security numbers to id each other. Like a certain air plane company did on their employee badges, everyone could plainly see the ss number.
Like the one guy says, there will still be no way to know a real name is used.