Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Reno 2018
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:58 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Is it worth going to Reno this year ?
Doesn't seem to be too much going on compared to last year...

Thanks,
Phil

Post subject: Re: Reno 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:19 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Was just on their website.
Seems old and tired, and a lot of empty seats... :?

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:39 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Now we're talking... pop2

https://www.sonexaircraft.com/pr_061418 ... duYnlzWSJ9

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:24 pm 

Alright Phil here's what I got, I know WIX isn't a Reno site so I don't usually comment on it... Dreadnought will be Dreadnought, Miss America's new cooling system should allow it to keep up with Dreadnought making for some awesome racing. But most importantly is Mike Brown's Goldfinger. If you follow any air racing groups on Facebook, you would have already seen they clipped the wings at the production break, and there is more in store, could be a built engine and spray bar setup but you didn't hear that from me. Mike has also made it clear that Goldfinger may not be the 'end' of his racing career. He "might want" a Super Stang but wouldn't make it Goldfinger since it's a pretty immaculate resto to NAA spec, outside of the wings/less the gun ports... Go this year and tell Mike you appreciate what he's doing. Nobody else seems to have the motivation to add some excitement to the Unlimited class, besides Mike!

Also up in the air is the potential reveal and racing of Thibodeau's new Fury N63SF, and RARA is working with Tom Reilly to get the XP-82 there on display, unlikely but they're trying...

In terms of their website, it's trash. They're very active on social media. I typically post more updated stuff if you're interested. Haven't been lately, but off-season I do pretty well... http://renoairraces.weebly.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Thanks for the info... pop2

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'll be there starting Wednesday and thru Sunday if anyone wants to meet up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:08 pm 
KiwiZac

Full Noise - the Allison Yak-3 from New Zealand which attended for the first time last year - is on the water and set for a second Reno!

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:33 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

On the water ?
Is that a NZ thing.... :?

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:40 pm 

It is nearly September, and a boy's thoughts turn to Reno.

Goldfinger raced for many years as "Risky Business", race 45. The fastest gold it ever ran was 437 ish.

phil65 wrote:
On the water ?

Phil

It's on a boat, it's on a mutha-effin boat (apologies to The Lonely Island).

If you raced Dreadnaught, wouldn't you be gunning for the Gold? I wonder if they have been cleaning it up a bit? I would.

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. “

– Michael Crichton

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:26 pm 

I think Reno could be some of the best racing we have seen in years this year. Miss America is back, likely in super stock format, so a possible 450+ contender. Mike Brown is back with his P51 Goldfinger (ex Risky Business), likely in super stock trim as well. Dreadnought, Sawbones, 924, and Argonought are slated to be there. There is a 4th possible r2800 powered Sea Fury that could run as well if they get the kinks ironed out. Full Noise will be back from New Zealand (should be arriving in L.A. sometime in the next couple days so it can be reassembled.) Fred Telling RARA CEO is bringing his own P51 as well as spending a good chunk of his own $ on the unlimiteds purse. Palm Springs Air Museum is bringing "Bunny" back as well as their P63 Kingcobra "Pretty Polly" (How awesome is that?)

There are more stockers running, nothing wrong with that. Are we going to see a 500 mph lap? Unlikely. Could we see some in the 480 range? Its possible. I think Reno will be just as awesome this year as its been in the past, with some closer racing as well.

Will

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:51 pm 

RobC wrote:
It is nearly September, and a boy's thoughts turn to Reno.

Goldfinger raced for many years as "Risky Business", race 45. The fastest gold it ever ran was 437 ish.

phil65 wrote:
On the water ?

Phil

If you raced Dreadnaught, wouldn't you be gunning for the Gold? I wonder if they have been cleaning it up a bit? I would.

Enjoyed the whole post lol,

Goldfinger and Risky Business are different breeds of racer I believe. Goldfinger was ran through with the FINEST tooth comb to get her to where she's at now. Airmotive spared nothing in cleaning her up. Risky was pretty rough after all the racing and different mods. Was the resto in the interest of weight savings? Not necessarily, but the work Airmotive does is pretty flawless and Goldfinger is a much nicer airframe than Risky ever was. The wing clip/end pieces show this to be true as well, very precise and hopefully FAST! I also don't know who built/modified Risky's engine, but I'm doubtful it was half as refined as the Vintage engine that Goldfinger is receiving.

Dread hasn't been getting much attention other than routine cleaning. First run in 10 or so months was a week maybe 2 ago, and I don't think there are any plans to "clean her up" more than usual. I mean... they don't really need to either, it's pretty consistent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:55 pm 

Blackbirdfan wrote:
I think Reno could be some of the best racing we have seen in years this year. Miss America is back, likely in super stock format, so a possible 450+ contender. Mike Brown is back with his P51 Goldfinger (ex Risky Business), likely in super stock trim as well. Dreadnought, Sawbones, 924, and Argonought are slated to be there. There is a 4th possible r2800 powered Sea Fury that could run as well if they get the kinks ironed out. Full Noise will be back from New Zealand (should be arriving in L.A. sometime in the next couple days so it can be reassembled.) Fred Telling RARA CEO is bringing his own P51 as well as spending a good chunk of his own $ on the unlimiteds purse. Palm Springs Air Museum is bringing "Bunny" back as well as their P63 Kingcobra "Pretty Polly" (How awesome is that?)

There are more stockers running, nothing wrong with that. Are we going to see a 500 mph lap? Unlikely. Could we see some in the 480 range? Its possible. I think Reno will be just as awesome this year as its been in the past, with some closer racing as well.

Will

Good to have my backup man back! Thanks Will.. Sanders got the hydraulic issues with the 2800 Fury ironed out as of yesterday, but Sunday's entry list doesn't have Joe on it... Hopes are falling, fingers always crossed. I was unaware of Fred's $$$ being spent. He's the F-in man!!! Good to have him in charge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:56 pm 

The Unlimited List: 15 rather than the 13 we all assumed would be the max...

Brant Seghetti – Blondie (P-51D)
Brent Hisey – Miss America (P-51D)
Curt Brown – Sawbones (Sea Fury)
Dan Vance – Speedball Alice (P-51D)
Dennis Sanders – Eagle’s Wings (Sea Fury)
Graeme Frew – Full Noise (Yak 3)
Jim “JD” Dale – Pretty Polly (P-63A)
JP Thibodeau – Crusader (P-51D)
Joel Swager – Dreadnought (Sea Fury)
Mark Watt – 924G (Sea Fury)
Michael Pfleger – Lady B (P-51D)
Mike Brown – Goldfinger (P-51D)
Rob Gordan – Lady Jo (TF-51D)
Sherman Smoot – Argonaut (Sea Fury)
Tom Nightingale – Bunny (P-51D)

Pace Plane: Steve Hinton – T33-Pace
Alternate Pace: Kevin Eldridge
Safety: Robert Patterson – Wee Willy

Last edited by GRNDP51 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:13 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I'm looking forward to the sport class this year. I've been following Elliot Seguin and the development of his new entry Wasabinaught and it looks like it'll be a nice addition plus it's going to have a pretty big group again. It seems both it, Formula, and Biplane are going nice and strong and will continue to be a draw. It is nice to see some of the "return to stock" racing for the Unlimiteds and maybe a more sustainable format, but I think the "smaller" classes are what will allow Reno to continue to feature the big birds and seeing continued strength there is heartening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:04 pm 
KiwiZac

GRNDP51 wrote:
RobC wrote:
phil65 wrote:
On the water ?

Phil

I thought it was a universal thing, sorry! :lol:

"It's his plane, he spent the money to restore it, he can do with it what he wants. I will never understand what's hard to comprehend about this." - kalamazookid, 20/08/2013
"The more time you spend around warbirds the sooner you learn nothing, is simple." - JohnB, 24/02/22