Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:17 pm 

Just added,

Tim Savage's A-26B Invader "SILVER DRAGON"! :wink:

THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:43 pm 

michael luther wrote:
Just added,

Tim Savage's A-26B Invader "SILVER DRAGON"! :wink:

:supz: :supz: :supz:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:31 pm 

There is that dude that does the aerobatics in a Beech Baron too that is pretty good, kinda reminds me of Bob Hoover.

Yeah it's amazing that foreign shows get more of our inventory flying in them than any American show. We couldn't get Jack $*** at Oshkosh from the RAF last year for the 100th anniversary, not even an A400 or Typhoon on Static.

The Miami Memorial Day Air and Sea Show looks pretty good - not demos but at least some passes by these various types - get a B-1, B-52 and B-2. Past couple years I think 3/4 of the planes showed. I have to work that weekend unfortunately, tempted to drive down there, or at least hang out at Opa Locka where a lot of the planes operate out of

https://usasalute.com/the-air-sea-show/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 pm 

Boeing666 wrote:
There is that dude that does the aerobatics in a Beech Baron too that is pretty good, kinda reminds me of Bob Hoover.

Do you mean Matt Younkin and his Twin Beech 18, which was used for training during WWII ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 pm 

kennsmithf2g wrote:
Boeing666 wrote:

Do you mean Matt Younkin and his Twin Beech 18 ?

No, Younkin is awesome too. He would be good at Thunder Over Michigan, since his plane is almost a warbird (although this particular Beech 18 was never a C-45 or saw military service). I am referring to a guy named David Martin who flies a Beech 55 Baron. He's a relatively new act. He does engine out aerobatics like Bob Hoover and lands it with engines off etc.

I think Younkin is this "Immortal Red Baron" act that is new though. Younkin isn't on the Sun N Fun schedule at all, and he goes there every year. The Immortal Red Baron is a dog fight, which makes me think it's Younkin and Kyle Franklin doing a new version of the Masters of Disaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 pm 

Jim Peitz does aerobatics in the Bonanza, I like David’s Baron act better though. And the immortal Red Baron is a different act than Kyle and Matt, it’s a ww1 dogfight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:55 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
Jim Peitz does aerobatics in the Bonanza, I like David’s Baron act better though. And the immortal Red Baron is a different act than Kyle and Matt, it’s a ww1 dogfight

YEah but the actual aircraft used I think are a customized Waco to look like a WW1 plane and the other being a customized Stearman I heard. These are veteran aerobatic pilots doing this, not some new guys out of nowhere or they wouldn't get this kind of hype and push as well as booking. The reason I say Matt Younkin is because this is the first year he hasn't been booked at Sun N Fun in a long time, I have seen him perform every Sun N fun for at least 10+ years. Another reason is that this could be a "Masters of Disaster" type act that their fathers Bobby Younkin and Jim Franklin used to do. Other possibilities are Skip Stewart and John Mohr. Mohr supposedly retired and Stewart isn't booked at Sun N Fun either. They did a sort of Masters of Disaster type act a few years back and of course Mohr flies the Stearman, probably the best Stearman aerobatic pilot there is, one of the planes being a Stearman.

I am kind of bored with Peitz's act. He does some great low passes but it's nothing like the Baron act

On a side note, rumors are going around that the XP-82 blew an engine, but haven't heard any confirmation. It hasn't shown up at Titusville FL yet and it's been taken off the schedule there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:22 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

"On a side note, rumors are going around that the XP-82 blew an engine, but haven't heard any confirmation. It hasn't shown up at Titusville FL yet and it's been taken off the schedule there."

That's one h@ll of a side note..... :P

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:25 pm 

Boeing666 wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:

YEah but the actual aircraft used I think are a customized Waco to look like a WW1 plane and the other being a customized Stearman I heard. These are veteran aerobatic pilots doing this, not some new guys out of nowhere or they wouldn't get this kind of hype and push as well as booking. The reason I say Matt Younkin is because this is the first year he hasn't been booked at Sun N Fun in a long time, I have seen him perform every Sun N fun for at least 10+ years. Another reason is that this could be a "Masters of Disaster" type act that their fathers Bobby Younkin and Jim Franklin used to do. Other possibilities are Skip Stewart and John Mohr. Mohr supposedly retired and Stewart isn't booked at Sun N Fun either. They did a sort of Masters of Disaster type act a few years back and of course Mohr flies the Stearman, probably the best Stearman aerobatic pilot there is, one of the planes being a Stearman.

I am kind of bored with Peitz's act. He does some great low passes but it's nothing like the Baron act

On a side note, rumors are going around that the XP-82 blew an engine, but haven't heard any confirmation. It hasn't shown up at Titusville FL yet and it's been taken off the schedule there.

Listed for Sun N Fun, been called immortal Red Baron for awhile now

http://immortalredbaron.com

Have been hearing about the XP also, Thunder’s far away enough for a couple engine changes if need be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:32 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Get him to Old Rhinebeck..... :wink:

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:05 am 

Boeing666 wrote:
He would be good at Thunder Over Michigan, since his plane is almost a warbird (although this particular Beech 18 was never a C-45 or saw military service).

Younkin's Beech 18 is indeed a warbird, having been build for the USAAF as AT-7C 43-33403. She served as a navigational trainer at Ellington Army Air Field in Houston.
http://younkinair.com/aircraft/
http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDos ... rial=33778

:partyman:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

GRNDP51 wrote:
...Thunder’s far away enough for a couple engine changes if need be.

With what would you change the starboard engine?

I was left with the impression that Mike Nixon found ONE in Mexico City, and that went on the airframe. Have more survivors been discovered?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:05 am 

Has it been confirmed somewhere that there was an engine issue? That's a disappointing setback if true.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 pm 

WIXerGreg wrote:
Has it been confirmed somewhere that there was an engine issue? That's a disappointing setback if true.

I have heard numerous rumors as to why it canceled this weekend at Titusville. One was a blown engine. Another source said various mechanical issues. Someone at Titusville said that there was a training time requirement issue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:44 pm 

rcaf_100 wrote:
Boeing666 wrote:
He would be good at Thunder Over Michigan, since his plane is almost a warbird (although this particular Beech 18 was never a C-45 or saw military service).

Younkin's Beech 18 is indeed a warbird, having been build for the USAAF as AT-7C 43-33403. She served as a navigational trainer at Ellington Army Air Field in Houston.
http://younkinair.com/aircraft/
http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDos ... rial=33778

:partyman:

Interesting, I was told in the past it was a 1950s build model that never saw military service. That might have been one of Bobby's Beech 18s though that he flew in the 90s that this person got mixed up with

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next