Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: The derelict T-28 Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:45 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

While on a google search I came across this photographer's work, and kinda fell for some of his more "artsy" photos of the 28. I guess most of us would want to find something like this and nurture it back to health. And the way these photos are presented really convey that message pretty well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iplaid/al ... 6289536525

T J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:38 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Some cool photography. 8)

Attachment:
screenshot_2019-04-04-airplane.jpg
screenshot_2019-04-04-airplane.jpg [ 631.35 KiB | Viewed 1911 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:42 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

30 May 2012 - Based at Landings Condominium Airport, Huntley, IL, Lake, the Hills Airport, Chicago, IL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:44 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Lon Moer wrote:
Some cool photography. 8)

Attachment:
screenshot_2019-04-04-airplane.jpg

It looks like it was taken through a sock and then beaten to death with Photoshop effects. I see a lot of these over-processed images and I'm not sure what the intention is, but the result is usually a mess like this one.

The second photo was a country mile better!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:13 am 

This T-28 is not a "Nomad", it is a Hamilton conversion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:56 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

quemerford wrote:

It looks like it was taken through a sock and then beaten to death with Photoshop effects. I see a lot of these over-processed images and I'm not sure what the intention is, but the result is usually a mess like this one.

The second photo was a country mile better!

Sorry, but I don't agree at all with this. Most of the time I prefer the "ordinary" photo of an aircraft, but I must say I find these to be quite cool. The effect is very good. Kudos also to the photographer for posting both kind (both country & western).

T-28mike wrote:
This T-28 is not a "Nomad", it is a Hamilton conversion.

I shall admit that I'm not all that savvy about the different T-28 variants. I just looked up the plane in Goodall's directory, and it was called a Nomad. By a quick google search I found these comments on this website for a version called the Nomair: https://1000aircraftphotos.com/GeneralAv/1040.htm

Quote:
The Hamilton Aircraft Company in Tucson, Arizona produced conversions of the ex-USAF North American T-28A Trojan training aircraft with the original 800 hp Wright R-1300-1A Cyclone seven-cylinder air-cooled radial engine replaced by an 1,350 hp Wright R-1820-56A or 1,200 hp Wright 704C9GC1 nine-cylinder radial air-cooled engine, driving a Hamilton Standard Hydromatic Type 33D50 or 43D50 three-blade metal propeller.

To comply with CAR 3.83 the landing speed was reduced by increasing the wing span by approximately seven feet. Increasing the wing span, however, reduced load factor capability and roll performance plus some degradation in static longitudinal stability. In the case of the Hamilton application, the effects were considered inconsequential. The prototype flew for the first time in September, 1960, and FAA Type Certificate was received on February 15, 1962. The following two specialized versions were produced:

T-28-R1. This was a military trainer with tandem cockpits, dual instrumentation and flying controls, and hydraulically-actuated rearward-sliding canopy. Six supplied to the Brazilian Navy in the latter part of 1962 were equipped as carrier trainers with arrester hook, systems and controls meeting all requirements for naval training operations. They were used aboard the carrier Minas Gerais, serialed N-701 to N-706. Eventually they were transferred to the Brazilian AF, and re-serialed 0860 to 0865, they were used by the naval co-operation unit 2aELO at São Pedro da Aldeia.

T-28-R2. The commercial version was equipped to carry a pilot at front and two pairs of seats for four passengers. The canopy was fixed and there was a door on the port side of the cabin. The first production model flew in February 1962 and a total of ten were built. At that time the T-28-R2 was the fastest single-engined standard category aircraft available in the USA. And it had been flown to a height of 38,700 ft (11,800 m). One aircraft was sold to a high-altitude photographic company."

So is this then an R-2 model without the wider cockpit? 87H was owned by an aerial survey company in 1961.

T J

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:29 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

My snapshots from about 1979 at long-gone Chicagoland Airport in Wheeling:

Hasn't changed much in 40 years.

ETA: ...and when it was up for sale in 2006:

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Those Photoshop shots can make aircraft look derelict even when they're not.

My wife stumbled across some on the web and showed them to me...one was the airworthy UK Lancaster. It looked like it was sitting abandoned in the desert when of course it's certainly not.

Certainly could give people the idea that there are several Lancasters waiting to be restored or sitting in scrap yards. Kind of like the guy I met many years ago who assumed there were still thousands of WWII aircraft sitting in the desert.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Chris Brame wrote:
My snapshots from about 1979 at long-gone Chicagoland Airport in Wheeling:

Chris, did you get any of the interior, would like to know how many seats where back there!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:00 pm 

According to the FAA...
Serial Number 51-7803N Status Valid
Manufacturer Name NORTH AMERICAN Certificate Issue Date 11/09/2017
Model T-28A Expiration Date 11/30/2020
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 52601352
MFR Year None Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) AB02EA
Type Registration LLC Fractional Owner NO
Registered Owner
Name ALASKA AIR SERVICE LLC
Street 16340 LOWER HARBOR RD STE 502

City BROOKINGS State OREGON
County CURRY Zip Code 97415-8303
Country UNITED STATES
Airworthiness
Engine Manufacturer WRIGHT Classification Restricted
Engine Model C9GC&D SERIES Category Aerial Surveying
A/W Date 10/20/1961 Exception Code No

Will

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:37 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Nice photos (all except the first that is!). An interesting bird.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:51 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

The wings of the former Chicagoland Airport T-28 pictured aren't extended seven feet and the canopy isn't fixed, and it is clearly marked RESTRICTED.

Quote:
"T-28-R2. The commercial version was equipped to carry a pilot at front and two pairs of seats for four passengers. The canopy was fixed and there was a door on the port side of the cabin. The first production model flew in February 1962 and a total of ten were built. At that time the T-28-R2 was the fastest single-engined standard category aircraft available in the USA. And it had been flown to a height of 38,700 ft (11,800 m). One aircraft was sold to a high-altitude photographic company."

Either I was a good kid or I couldn't figure out how to get the T-28 open (I remember not being very interested in it), but I did sit in the Hellcat at Chicagoland. I remember being told that the Hellcat was being modified for aerial survey work and that they were putting fuel tanks in the outer wing panels. Some of the wing skins had been removed, but not sure how that would have worked with the folding wings and not sure why the stock drop tank arrangement wouldn't have worked better despite some additional drag.

Unfortunately the timeline for me graduating high school, then college, getting a job and buying the Hellcat didn't work out for me... I'm sure Chris Brame had similar thoughts as we were both hanging around those places at the same time but apparently our paths never crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:11 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Yeah, I was a good kid too - plus I recall the Hellcat was a wasp condo, so I didn't get too close. :shock:

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)