Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:24 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Daks Over Normandy...this will be awsome!!!!!

https://www.daksovernormandy.com/home/

On the Fly Past Forum they mention 3 x P-51, 1 x Spit and a few T-6's crossing at the same time....just wow.

Anyone has more details?

Cheers and tks.

Edits: 34 AC listed to attend...... https://www.daksovernormandy.com/aircraft/

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:29 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Oh man....just look at the program!!!! https://www.daksovernormandy.com/program/

I wish everyone safe flights with GREAT weather for the event.....

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:53 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Wow..34 aircraft confirmed so far! Surely there'll be more late arrivals. Quite a gathering.

"Ahh..."The Deuce", 28,000 pounds of motherly love." quote from some Mojave Grunt
DBF

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:10 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I can't see there being any potential late/additional DC-3/C-47's being added (I believe there were a few that had to drop out), as this has been in the plans now for a very long time and it is getting to where everything is already well in motion/well underway, with planes already flying cross-country, crews having their accommodations booked for some time, flightplans made, US/Canada crews checking the weather over the Atlantic for later this week, rafts and immersion suits packed, etc. There may be, however, hopefully, some surprise additional fighter participants in England - as was mentioned here recently, Jim Hagedorn and Ray Fowler together have flown Hagedorn's P-51D "Old Crow" over to England from the US to be part of the event.

Last edited by JohnTerrell on Sun May 12, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:43 pm 
Jump Street

I really think this is a great event and kudos to all those involved. Hopefully it will get some media attention as well. Safe flights to all those involved.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:24 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I know a few guys who'll be jumping at this event in WW2 uniform.
I was in Normandy about this time last year and they were talking about the Daks event even then.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:29 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Saw 3 of the C-47's fly over P&W today... :supz:

Phil

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:44 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Doug Rozendaal recently started a Facebook page called "Normandy 2019" that will be providing updates on the Atlantic crossing and the "Daks Over Normandy" events in England and France (and, following that, events that will be commemorating the Berlin Airlift in Germany): https://www.facebook.com/TABtoNormandy/

According to Doug's FB page posted above, the tentative schedule right now for the Oxford, CT gathered DC-3's/C-47's is:
Sunday, 5/19 - Depart Oxford, CT for Goose Bay in Canada
Monday, 5/20 to Friday 5/25 - Travel from Goose Bay to Narsarsuaq, Greenland, then onto Reykjavik, Iceland, and then Prestwick, Scotland.

As of now they have 9 DC-3's/C-47's gathered at Oxford, CT, and I recall reading that a few more will be joining them in Goose Bay. As I understand it, due to limited ramp space at Narsarsuaq, it sounds like the DC-3's/C-47's will be departing in flights of two, dispersed over a two-day period. The DC-3 "Clipper Tabitha May" is already in Goose Bay, having arrived today, and will be going off on the Atlantic flight ahead of the rest.

You can follow the "Clipper Tabitha May" on their website: https://www.clippertabithamay.com and on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ClipperTabithaMay/

(BTW, I noticed that Jim Hagedorn's P-51D "Old Crow", which he had posted on Facebook about the plan on flying it over to England for the D-Day anniversary events, was flown from Bangor, Maine, which is as far as it had gotten, back to Willow Run, Michigan yesterday. Hopefully it means that just a little checkup or a little work was required and it can still make the journey in-time.)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I made a serious inquiry about riding in one across the Atlantic.
Turned out to be a bit rich for me...not so much the flight (which was about double what I would have guessed) but 3 weeks of hotels and a one way ticket back from London killed the deal.

Not complaining, but too rich for this kid...:)

I hope everyone has a great time and safe journey.
I'll be with you in spirit.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:01 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

How much did they want ?

I see you live in Washington too...

Phil

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd rather not say, it might be proprietary. :)...although the organization I spoke with said their costs were the lowest that they had heard of.

Let's just say you could buy a new car with the money...especially if to take the extended trip to Berlin.

Last edited by JohnB on Fri May 17, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:55 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

OK... :lol:

Phil

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

A little video preview...static-line demo (via Liberty Jump Team & Betsy's Biscuit Bomber) at last weekend's AOPA 80th Anniversary:

https://www.facebook.com/gooneybirdgrou ... 066005180/

Digressing...

Personal abject laziness prevents me from researching exactly how many of the "Daks Over Normandy (& Berlin)" C-47/C-53/DC-3 are planning to do Oshkosh as well. I think I've heard/read that "That's All Brother", "Placid Lassie", & "Clipper Tabitha May" are planning the run to Wisconsin in July. Others?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:42 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Today, the D-Day Squadron did the Hudson/New York City flight, with 9 of the Oxford, CT gathered DC-3's/C-47's/C-53's flying over the Statue of Liberty. Ten have gathered at Oxford as of now, those being - "Flabob Express", "D-Day Doll", "Virginia Ann", "That's All Brother", "Placid Lassie", "Betsy's Biscuit Bomber", "Spirit of Benovia", "Miss Virginia", Legend Airways Foundation's "Liberty", and the Historic Flight Foundation's "Pan American Airways". Another was planned to arrive for this weekend, that being "Miss Montana", but weather was still keeping it held up in Montana - hopefully the weather will become more cooperative and it can still join up in Goose Bay with the rest of the North American group.

The Oxford-gathered planes will be departing tomorrow (Sunday) at 7 AM for Goose Bay.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:03 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I was at Oxford Waterbury airport today, beautiful weather.

Phil