Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 pm 

They landed a B-52D there...at least once. Growing up in the approach path for runway 23L, some real heavies landed there quite often. Only thing I can think is the "per tire" weight may exceed the maximum for the runway. Similarly, now I live near PTK. They can land a C-17 there when the VP comes to town, but can't land a DC-10 even though the MTOW of a C-17 is 30k lbs. heavier.

Or, there's something on the Strike Eagles Uncle Sam doesn't want the general public to get a close look at...although they had F-35's there last year roped off with security. Or they logistically can't support them for some reason. *shrug*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:27 pm 

GarryW wrote:
They landed a B-52D there...at least once. Growing up in the approach path for runway 23L, some real heavies landed there quite often. Only thing I can think is the "per tire" weight may exceed the maximum for the runway. Similarly, now I live near PTK. They can land a C-17 there when the VP comes to town, but can't land a DC-10 even though the MTOW of a C-17 is 30k lbs. heavier.

Or, there's something on the Strike Eagles Uncle Sam doesn't want the general public to get a close look at...although they had F-35's there last year roped off with security. Or they logistically can't support them for some reason. *shrug*

747's still routinely take off and land there as well, no way in hell a 15E needs more runway than them. Don't know, glad they'll be flying anyhow. I usually come for the arrivals and stay for departures, thats why I am so interested in this issue. Hopefully will fly practice anyhow if they are part of the show.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:25 am 

Xray wrote:
GarryW wrote:

747's still routinely take off and land there as well, no way in hell a 15E needs more runway than them. Don't know, glad they'll be flying anyhow. I usually come for the arrivals and stay for departures, thats why I am so interested in this issue. Hopefully will fly practice anyhow if they are part of the show.

Completely forgot that Kalitta has 747's. Good point. Hard to believe a "naked" F-15E would need even half that runway. When the 15's departed last year, they used MAYBE 1/2 the runway...probably closer to 1/3. I usually volunteer setting up tables and chairs on Friday mostly to see the arrivals as well, but life moved too fast this year and forgot to toss my hat in the ring in time. Wouldn't hold my breath on practice though. I'm pretty sure its not a demo team so chances are all we'll get is a couple flybys...no real need to practice that I wouldn't think. Regardless, still a pretty cool addition!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:35 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Sounds like a great show, I just wish I was anywhere nearby to go see it...
GRNDP51 wrote:
(N72NW) Olympic Flight Museum (FG-1D) - Washington - *Not Attending (Currently for Sale)*

I'll be darned, I didn't know it was for sale. They sold a few airplanes to pay for that restoration which took the better part of a decade it memory serves. They didn't fly it at the recent Olympic Airshow, and the prop was off the entire time while on display.
Such a shame it's for sale.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:00 pm 

p51 wrote:
I'll be darned, I didn't know it was for sale. They sold a few airplanes to pay for that restoration which took the better part of a decade it memory serves. They didn't fly it at the recent Olympic Airshow, and the prop was off the entire time while on display.
Such a shame it's for sale.

Yep, has been for a pretty long time. High price tag, but it's arguably the nicest FG-1D out there. There are some really nice F4U's out there but out of the Goodyear birds it's one of the best. :)

https://www.platinumfighters.com/fg1dn72nw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:34 pm 

GarryW wrote:
Xray wrote:
GarryW wrote:

Completely forgot that Kalitta has 747's. Good point. Hard to believe a "naked" F-15E would need even half that runway. When the 15's departed last year, they used MAYBE 1/2 the runway...probably closer to 1/3. I usually volunteer setting up tables and chairs on Friday mostly to see the arrivals as well, but life moved too fast this year and forgot to toss my hat in the ring in time. Wouldn't hold my breath on practice though. I'm pretty sure its not a demo team so chances are all we'll get is a couple flybys...no real need to practice that I wouldn't think. Regardless, still a pretty cool addition!

Never can tell, at Selfridge a couple years back they had a couple of plain USMC F-18's doing passes for the show, they joined both practice days and did some rip roaring passes, last one verging on supersonic. I think they like to work all flying acts into the show routine, but you are right, probably not necessary especially for "remotely based" aircraft.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:13 pm 

Finalized aircraft list:

Quote:
Air Combat Command F-16 Viper Demonstration Team
U.S.A.F.

Vought F4U-5NL Corsair
John French

Vought F4U-5NL Corsair "ANNIE-MO"

Lone Star Flight Museum

Vought FG-1D Corsair "MARINE'S DREAM"
Mid America Flight Museum

Vought FG-1D Corsair “GODSPEED”
ELLENVILLE LLC

Vought FG-1D Corsair
Louis Horschel

Vought FG-1D Corsair
Military Aviation Museum

Vought FG-1D Corsair
Commemorative Air Force

Vought F4U-4 Corsair
Wings Of The North

Vought F4U-4 Corsair
Jim Tobul

Vought F4U-5NL Corsair
Collings Foundation

Vought F4U-5N Corsair
Fighters & Legends

Vought F4U-7 Corsair
Erickson Aircraft Collection

North American P-51B Mustang "OLD CROW”
Jack Roush

North American P-51D Mustang "GENTLEMAN JIM"
Jack Roush

North American P-51D Mustang "GLAMOROUS GLEN III”
James Bohannon, Jr.

North American P-51D Mustang " Moonbeam McSWINE"
Warbird Heritage Foundation

North American P-51D Mustang "Ain't Misbehavin'"

Wes Stowers

North American P-51D Mustang "Petie 2nd"
Tony Buechler

North American P-51D Mustang "Quick Silver"
Scott Yoak

Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress “Yankee Lady” (Book a ride!)
Yankee Air Museum

North American Aviation B-25D Mitchell "Yankee Warrior" (Book a ride!)
Yankee Air Museum

North American Aviation B-25J Mitchell "Georgie’s Gal”
Liberty Aviation Museum

North American Aviation B-25J Mitchell "BRIEFING TIME”
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum

Douglas A-26B Invader "SILVER DRAGON"
Tim Savage

Grumman TBM-3E Avenger
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum

Douglas C-47D Skytrain “Hairless Joe”
Yankee Air Museum

Beechcraft Model 18
Don Burt

North American T-28B Trojan
Roger Babb

North American T-28B Trojan
Fred Bowers

Cessna O-2A Skymaster
Dave “Pyro” MacDonald

Cessna O-2A Skymaster
Robert Shafer

Vultee SNV-1 Valiant
Bruce Koch

North American Aviation T-6D Texan
Lou Feldvary

Boeing PT-17 Stearman
Christopher Dackson

Boeing PT-17 Stearman
Dave Groh

Naval Aircraft Factory N3N Yellow Peril
Bill Hirzel

Stinson L-5 Sentinel
Bill Hirzel

de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk Mk 20
Henning Henningsen

de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk Mk 10
Vic Stottlemeyer

WACO YMF-5C (Book a ride!)
Yankee Air Museum

Canadair CT-133 Silver Star “Red Knight”
Jet Aircraft Museum

Bell UH-1H Iroquois (Book a ride!)
Army Aviation Heritage Foundation

Bell UH-1H Iroquois (Book a ride!)

Bell AH-1F Cobra (Book a ride!)

Lockheed F-16CJ Fighting Falcon – Viper Demonstration Team
20th FW Shaw AFB, SC

Lockheed F-16CJ Fighting Falcon – Viper Demonstration Team
20th FW Shaw AFB, SC
Lockheed F-16C Fighting Falcon
180th FW – Toledo ANGB, OH

Lockheed F-16C Fighting Falcon
180th FW – Toledo ANGB, OH

Boeing F-15E Strike Eagle (Flying Only)
366th FW – Mountain Home AFB, ID

Boeing F-15E Strike Eagle (Flying Only)
366th FW – Mountain Home AFB, ID

Boeing EA-18G Growler
VAQ-129 – NAS Whidbey Island, WA

Boeing EA-18G Growler
VAQ-129 – NAS Whidbey Island, WA

Northrup F-5F/ Tiger II
VMFT-401 – MCAS Yuma, AZ

Northrup F-5F/ Tiger II
VMFT-401 – MCAS Yuma, AZ

Fairchild Republic A-10C Thunderbolt II
175th FW – Martin State Airport/Warfield ANGB, MD

Boeing E-6B Mercury
VQ-4 – Tinker AFB, OK

Airbus A400M Atlas
Air Transport Wing 62 – Wunstorf, Germany

Lockheed HC-130J Combat King II
58th SOW - Kirtland AFB, NM

Lockheed Martin CC-130J Hercules
8 Wing – Canadian Forces Base Trenton, ON, Canada

Airbus CC-150 Polaris
8 Wing – Canadian Forces Base Trenton, ON, Canada

Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules
314thAW – Little Rock AFB, AK

Lockheed Martin C-130H2/3 Hercules
136th AW – NAS JRB, TX

Boeing KC-135T Stratotanker
127th Wing - Selfridge ANGB, MI

Boeing CH-47F Chinook
Detachment 1, Company B, 3-238th Aviation – Selfridge ANGB, MI

Bell CH-146 Griffon
1 Wing – Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, Quebec, Canada

Sikorsky MH-60T Jayhawk (Flying Only)
Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City, MI

Bell OH-58C Kiowa
Detroit Police Department

Bell 407
Michigan State Police Department

Raytheon T-1A Jayhawk
12th FTW Randolph AFB, TX

Beechcraft T-6A Texan II
71st FTW – Vance AFB, OK

Beechcraft T-6A Texan II
71st FTW – Vance AFB, OK

Beechcraft T-6A Texan II
71st FTW – Vance AFB, OK

Beechcraft T-6A Texan II
71st FTW – Vance AFB, OK

Beechcraft T-6B Texan II
TRAWING 5 – NAS Whiting Field, FL

Beechcraft T-6B Texan II

Beechcraft T-6B Texan II

Beechcraft T-6B Texan II

Jack Link’s Beef Jerky Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco
John Klatt Airshows

Extra 330SC
Michael Goulian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:44 pm 

I'm pretty sure it's gonna get updated again Greg, removal of the CT-133 and CC-150, and maybe a few more adds from what I've heard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:31 pm 

Definitely could be changes, but they sent out an email this morning saying this is the finalized list.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:52 pm 

Just added 2 F-16's from 187th Alabama :lol: :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:56 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's gonna get updated again Greg, removal of the CT-133 and CC-150, and maybe a few more adds from what I've heard

I heard about the Red Knight, but where did you hear about the Polaris cancelling?

Sean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:34 am 

martin_sam_2000 wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:

I heard about the Red Knight, but where did you hear about the Polaris cancelling?

Sean

Thunder updated their FB post reflecting it, and added a comment about the cancellation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:53 am 

GRNDP51 wrote:
martin_sam_2000 wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:

Sean

Thunder updated their FB post reflecting it, and added a comment about the cancellation.

Completely missed that. Thanks.

On that note, any one hears about the C-5. Never saw anything about it canceling, but its not on the latest list. Did I miss something or did they slip up.

Sean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 am 

martin_sam_2000 wrote:

On that note, any one hears about the C-5. Never saw anything about it canceling, but its not on the latest list. Did I miss something or did they slip up.

Sean

Didn’t notice that one... really hoping it’s a slip as they’ve been dead honest with cancellations too. C-5 is one of the most important static’s for me this year...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:57 am 

GRNDP51 wrote:
martin_sam_2000 wrote:

Sean

Didn’t notice that one... really hoping it’s a slip as they’ve been dead honest with cancellations too. C-5 is one of the most important static’s for me this year...

I know. I have been very impressed with how open they have been.

Really hope its gonna be there. Always impressive to see a C-5 on a ramp. Park the L-5 inside it!!

Lol

Sean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next