Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:16 pm 

Update of what's on site and scheduled to arrive:

-Erickson's F4U-7, CAF Dixie Wing's FG-1D, P-51D Old Crow, and P-51D Quicksilver are all on site in Hangar 1, F-16 Viper Demo arrived today.

-Wings of the North F4U-4 arriving Friday, Korean War Hero arriving tomorrow.

Friday should be a VERY fun day with arrivals! :supz:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:24 am 

According to flightaware, the XP-82 STILL hasn't left Oshkosh. Not sure what that means, but im still slightly hopeful it will surprise us!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:18 am 

martin_sam_2000 wrote:
According to flightaware, the XP-82 STILL hasn't left Oshkosh. Not sure what that means, but im still slightly hopeful it will surprise us!!

Nobody has shot this down yet, hopefully the lack of schedule being posted is because they’re still finishing things up :wink:

Would be a shame if it stays an hour away in a hangar at OSH all weekend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:37 am 

Flightaware isn't reliable always since it only depends on IFR flights. If the XP-82 flew out VFR it wouldn't show and would just show the last time it flew on an IFR flightplan, which it might have on it's way to Oshkosh. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer as I would definitely love for it to be at Thunder and am hoping the same, it is holding out until Friday.

Has Doc left the area? That still has yet to make an appearance at Thunder. A few other interesting aircraft I am wondering about is the new Rod Lewis Mossie, the Hellcat (which never flew at Oshkosh while I was there), Fairey Firefly that flew twice at Oshkosh.

Weren't there a couple TBMs originally on the Thunder list? Don't see them now. Only one showed up at Oshkosh to my knowledge also. Seems with the Corsairs they could have brought in some other navy birds like the recently restored hellcat, some wildcats, TBMs etc for a navy theme since it is the 75th anniversary of a lot of island hopping.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:54 am 

Boeing666 wrote:
Flightaware isn't reliable always since it only depends on IFR flights. If the XP-82 flew out VFR it wouldn't show and would just show the last time it flew on an IFR flightplan, which it might have on it's way to Oshkosh. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer as I would definitely love for it to be at Thunder and am hoping the same, it is holding out until Friday.

Has Doc left the area? That still has yet to make an appearance at Thunder. A few other interesting aircraft I am wondering about is the new Rod Lewis Mossie, the Hellcat (which never flew at Oshkosh while I was there), Fairey Firefly that flew twice at Oshkosh.

Weren't there a couple TBMs originally on the Thunder list? Don't see them now. Only one showed up at Oshkosh to my knowledge also. Seems with the Corsairs they could have brought in some other navy birds like the recently restored hellcat, some wildcats, TBMs etc for a navy theme since it is the 75th anniversary of a lot of island hopping.

As of yesterday there are photos of the XP still at oshkosh.

Doc was at Thunder last year, and yes that along with all of the others are back home. XP is all that’s left

Again, NO money left to bring anything besides what’s listed now. Oshkosh doesn’t pay these guys to show up, Thunder has to. Collings is sending the hellcat to the tour and back home, and adding any other Navy birds would (IMO) be a waste of money since it’s not a Navy theme, it’s a Corsair theme. I have a feeling the Avengers are off because there was no reason to have them there (didn’t fit anywhere in the schedule)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:36 pm 

UPDATES!!!

Aircraft List:
P-51D Swamp Fox added, John French's Corsair and Screamin' Sasquatch pulled

Schedule is as follows:

10:00-11:30
NATIONAL ANTHEM - 4 X USAF T-6A TEXAN II'S
CLASS OF 45 - P-51D MUSTANG & F4U-4 CORSAIR
WWII AIR & GROUND BATTLE - 7 X P-51D MUSTANGS
MILITARY VEHICLE PASS & REVIEW
A-10C THUNDERBOLT II ARRIVAL (SATURDAY ONLY)
CH-146 GRIFFON DEMO (SUNDAY ONLY)
EXTRA 330C - MICHAEL GOULIAN
2 X USAF F-15E STRIKE EAGLES

1:30-4:30
P-51D MUSTANG AEROBATICS
RCAF CC-130J HERCULES DEMO
WWII AIR & GROUND BATTLE - 2 X B-25 MITCHELLS
YANKEE AIR MUSEUM PASS-IN-REVIEW - B-25D MITCHELL, B-17G FLYING FORTRESS & C-47D SKYTRAIN (SATURDAY ONLY)
EARLY MILITARY AIRCRAFT DEPARTURES (SUNDAY ONLY)
USAF F-16 VIPER DEMO AND HERITAGE FLIGHT (F-16 FIGHTING FALCON + 2 X P-51D MUSTANGS)
"CORSAIR CRAZY" - 11 X CORSAIRS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:25 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
UPDATES!!!

Aircraft List:
P-51D Swamp Fox added, John French's Corsair and Screamin' Sasquatch pulled

Schedule is as follows:

10:00-11:30
NATIONAL ANTHEM - 4 X USAF T-6A TEXAN II'S
CLASS OF 45 - P-51D MUSTANG & F4U-4 CORSAIR
WWII AIR & GROUND BATTLE - 7 X P-51D MUSTANGS
MILITARY VEHICLE PASS & REVIEW
A-10C THUNDERBOLT II ARRIVAL (SATURDAY ONLY)
CH-146 GRIFFON DEMO (SUNDAY ONLY)
EXTRA 330C - MICHAEL GOULIAN
2 X USAF F-15E STRIKE EAGLES

1:30-4:30
P-51D MUSTANG AEROBATICS
RCAF CC-130J HERCULES DEMO
WWII AIR & GROUND BATTLE - 2 X B-25 MITCHELLS
YANKEE AIR MUSEUM PASS-IN-REVIEW - B-25D MITCHELL, B-17G FLYING FORTRESS & C-47D SKYTRAIN (SATURDAY ONLY)
EARLY MILITARY AIRCRAFT DEPARTURES (SUNDAY ONLY)
USAF F-16 VIPER DEMO AND HERITAGE FLIGHT (F-16 FIGHTING FALCON + 2 X P-51D MUSTANGS)
"CORSAIR CRAZY" - 11 X CORSAIRS

Nice!! Even with the dropped acts, that is going to be a solid lineup!

Sean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 pm 

martin_sam_2000 wrote:

Nice!! Even with the dropped acts, that is going to be a solid lineup!

Sean

Agreed! Seems like a very well rounded lineup with some not-so-common acts. I think it's safe to say besides Goulian, Class of '45, and Viper demo, most of the acts are Thunder exclusives!! The P-51 aerobatics will more than likely be Swamp Fox, but even they only do a few shows a year.

Also love that Saturday and Sunday each have their own different perks. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:34 pm 

I always look forward to seeing Korean War Hero at a show. It was either at the 2000 or 2001 MAPS air show, and Joe Tobul was flying Korean War Hero. After the show, I happened to run into Joe in the MAPS gift shop looking around. I started talking to him a bit, and we were looking at some of the books and came across the WarbirdTech volume of the Corsair. This happened to be the revised edition and Joe's Corsair was on the cover, which he did not know about. We flipped through it looking for any other photos of his Corsair, and its time with the Honduran Air Force. With the passing of time, I cannot recall if Joe identified any. Later, when learning of Joe's crash, that time with him is a special air show memory for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:17 pm 

Arrivals today: 2 Corsairs, 2 Mustangs, 2 F-16's [OH ANG] and the A400M, that was it [unless anything came in after 7:30 pm] Low key day, obviously things should heat up a bit tomorrow with arrivals. F-16's did 3 or 4 nice low passes before landing, props just 1.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:25 pm 

There was some nice prop music going over the Holiday Inn at 9:30 tonight when I git in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:05 pm 

Xray wrote:
Arrivals today: 2 Corsairs, 2 Mustangs, 2 F-16's [OH ANG] and the A400M, that was it [unless anything came in after 7:30 pm] Low key day, obviously things should heat up a bit tomorrow with arrivals. F-16's did 3 or 4 nice low passes before landing, props just 1.

Oh darn!!! A400 already came in? that was one of the planes I was looking forward to seeing come in tomorrow.

I see Screaming Sasquatch dropped. I wonder if mechanical, it was supposed to go up Saturday at Oshkosh I thought too. He did a nice dual act with that Yak-110 Thursday at Oshkosh.

More than I thought, didn't realize that the CC-130 and the Griffon were performing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:49 pm 

Boeing666 wrote:
Xray wrote:

Oh darn!!! A400 already came in? that was one of the planes I was looking forward to seeing come in tomorrow.

I see Screaming Sasquatch dropped. I wonder if mechanical, it was supposed to go up Saturday at Oshkosh I thought too. He did a nice dual act with that Yak-110 Thursday at Oshkosh.

More than I thought, didn't realize that the CC-130 and the Griffon were performing.

Yeah he came, did 1 high pass then landed, that thing creates the weirdest sounding air vortexes I have ever heard with those funky props, and they last a full half minute after he passes. bummed about Sasquatch, was looking forward to seeing him, oh well. I'll be on the landing side [opposite of Ecorse, may or may not be the same today], black truck and pop up sun blocker.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:15 am 

yeah when I saw that A400 arrive a couple years ago when it landed on 5R, we were right underneath it - it blew the hats off of our heads after it passed over. I will be heading out shortly to see the arrivals. Says variable winds so not sure if they will use the south side or north side today. Unfortunately that might be a problem where they will just tend to arrive from the direction they are coming from if winds are calm and it isn't busy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:19 pm 

Eight Corsairs visible from Ecorse as of 5 pm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next