Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: Re: Napier Sabre
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:38 pm 

Hi OZFURYFAN,

This actual manual belongs to the Aviation Heritage Museum in Perth, Western Australia. I have talked with the manager of the museum and he wonders are there any people out there that would want a copy and how much would they pay for these copies as they are a private museum and any revenue goes to keeping it going. I see in another forum one person has replied with a page of information about the engine. So maybe there are other manuals or an outlet that you can get this Air Publication 1810A Volume 1 from free. So again if there is nothing else out there, how much would be reasonable to pay for a copy + postage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:11 am 

Full copies of manuals have cost me in the regionof $100-150 aus, would expect to pay around this, someone like office works could give you an estimate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:32 am 

Next thing to do is to release the string holding the pages together and see if the museum photocopy machine will be able to photocopy the pages as it only covers up A3. I will get back to you and let you know of the outcome and charge.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:56 pm 

A suggestion - use a copier that can scan to a PDF file and save it, that way you only have to run the originals through once, minimizing jams and damage to the original pages. You can then provide the PDF file for whatever fee or a printed copy of the PDF file for another fee, as needed. Just a suggestion to avoid having to run the originals through more than once.

Randy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:18 pm 

Thanks Randy, being retired and with time available I will put each page flat on the screen and once I get a copy, then I will put copy through the automatic stage to give me multiple copies. I was wondering about this post not getting much in the way of comment, was there a vast lot of manuals about and nobody needed this manual or was the price to high and was it on the net for free. So it looks like for the price of about xxxxxxxxxxx but don't quote me, you can get this manual photocopy and another Napier Sabre booklet to look through while eating Wheaties and splash coffee and milk to give them an original look. But I will look at the PDF way to see if it would be cheaper as the museum needs revenue if it is to last longer than 40 years.
Every post is good Randy, OZFURYFAN, Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have the full manual in PDF form for anyone who wants a copy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Napier Sabre IIA Horizontally-Opposed 24 Engine.

With an industrial history dating to the early nineteenth century, D. Napier and Son became famous for its automobiles. It began building aircraft engines in the World War I era. The highly successful Napier Lion, a water cooled W-12 configuration, first ran in 1917 and ended production in 1943.

Napier’s unusual H-shaped engines were originally designed in 1928 with 16 air cooled cylinders. Proposed in 1935, first run in 1937 and type tested in 1940, the Sabre was intended for high-altitude fighters. This liquid cooled H-shaped configuration was essentially comprised of four 6-cylinder engines, twin crankshafts, and combined gearing. Early problems with the engine's sleeve valves resulted in engine seizures, but these were resolved with improved metallurgy and manufacturing methods. Poor maintenance also caused early operational problems.

During World War II, the Sabre IIA powered the Folland Fo.108 43/37, Hawker Tempest V, and Hawker Typhoon I and IB.
Photo credit: NASM archives

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:30 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Mark Allen M wrote:
I have the full manual in PDF form for anyone who wants a copy.

Mark, I would like a copy for my collection

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:39 am 

:drink3: There you go. I thought there had to be more available. There will be more manuals than engines produced now.