Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 187  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Last Saturday, the Everett-based Historic Flight Foundation was in town supporting the "Neighbor Day" at historic Felts Field.
They brought their RAF-marked B-25 and gray/white TBM.
Also, the P-40 came up from Lewiston, ID. I got to thinking, I don't recall seeing a P-40 fly before...

Local planes included the local Stearman formation group with three flying...plus two more on static, Addison Pemberton's and Randy Ingrham's matching pair of Stearmans turned into 30s Navy fighters (450 engine and cowl, four-ailerion mod, and raised aft fuselage with a canopy).
I spent the day giving tours of Pemberton's Grumman Goose in 1943 USN colors.

A nice free event.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:03 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

WIXerGreg wrote:
I was able to stop two nights after work this week, I saw her take off on Tuesday and land last night. I think they left for the next stop about 20 minutes ago, the kids and I watched from upstairs as they turned away from the airport.

I was a bit surprised at their pricing? $475 to fly in the waist, $875 to fly at the bombardier position and somewhere in the middle for navigator. Do they not let you move around in flight on TR? I've flown on two 17's, the B-24 and a 25, and on all my flights we started moving around as soon as the gear came up.

I noticed that too. I didn't know any B-17s offered a higher-priced option to be in the nose for the whole flight. I would actually feel disappointed if I bought a flight in a B-17 and that wasn't included. I flew on Nine-O-Nine on a media flight about 10 years ago and we had free reign of most of the airplane other than the tail turret. Being in the nose was easily the most memorable part of the flight.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:08 pm 

Thunderbirds …live in the flight path for Dayton Int'l and they were practicing for the show tomorrow and Sunday.

Beautiful day and made a number of passes right over the house ..

Weekend weather … questionable

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:08 pm 

Thunderbirds …live in the flight path for Dayton Int'l and they were practicing for the show tomorrow and Sunday.

Beautiful day and made a number of passes right over the house ..

Weekend weather … questionable

Volunteer: National Museum of the US Air Force (2007-2016)
LTM 381st Bomb Group Memorial Association

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Went to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome yesterday for the second time to see the WWI show. Introduced my girlfriend to the place and she loved it. Truly a remarkable place and if you've never been, do yourself a favor and get out there! Saw the following fly. Some multiple times.

Fokker Dr.1
Fokker D.VII
Fokker D.VIII
Spad VII
Curtiss JN.4 Jenny
Curtiss Robin
PT-17
DH.82 Tiger Moth
Great Lakes 2T-1MS
Piper J3
New Standard D-25
1910 Hanriot

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:36 pm 

Something a little different at Miramar today, earlier this morning saw 4 F-16's take off followed by 2 F-5's :supz:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:37 pm 

GRNDP51 wrote:
Something a little different at Miramar today, earlier this morning saw 4 F-16's take off followed by 2 F-5's :supz:

It's been constant action today! It seems like the Aggressor pilots aren't too familiar with typical Miramar flight ops and they've been keeping it low and loud :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:09 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

On Saturday, I was up in my RV-6 flying towards a neighboring airport and witnessed the local Fouga Magister in flight. It was doing a steep turn at my altitude and was headed directly towards me when I saw it. From my vantage point, I could tell that if it maintained the bank angle, there was no danger, but I kept an eye on him until he turned parallel to me and landed ahead of me at the airport I was visiting. I spoke with the owner/pilot on the ramp (nice guy) and asked if he'd seen me.

He didn't have a response, so I'm guessing no. I didn't press - didn't matter.

We talked about his Magister for a while after that. Those are neat (and small) aircraft. WWII fighter performance on a much smaller investment. Fuel is a different story - he indicated 150 GPH or thereabouts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:28 pm 

formation flight of 5 just flew over my house in cincinnati. T-6 leading. Could make out a CJ-6. the rest i could not. love that sound. i was inside in the dark, i run to window and it was so bright, oh my aching rods and cones! i also think i need new glasses. probably a couple of T-34's. maybe a T-28? i'd like to know....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:46 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

A P-51 beat up the beach yesterday (Sunday Aug 11) when I was hanging out at Southhampton, Long Island NY. It was backlit so I couldn't make out the markings. Jaccqueline from nearby Farmingdale would be the most likely I guess.

August

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:01 pm 

At approximately 1:30 pm central time, flying northwest from my location, Michigan City,Indiana a 4 engine turboprop with a high T tail transport. Not a C130 but it may have been and looked like what I googled to be a Airbus A400M. Wasn’t one supposed to be at Thunder? Did it show up? Heard it before I saw it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:05 pm 

pjpahs wrote:
At approximately 1:30 pm central time, flying northwest from my location, Michigan City,Indiana a 4 engine turboprop with a high T tail transport. Not a C130 but it may have been and looked like what I googled to be a Airbus A400M. Wasn’t one supposed to be at Thunder? Did it show up? Heard it before I saw it.

Likely the Red Arrows, they brought a A400M with them for personnel and equipment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:15 pm 

Makes sense as they are to perform at the Chicago Air And Water Show this weekend,August 17-18.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:45 pm 

pjpahs wrote:

Definitely the A400 as has been said. There have been a good amount of A400's in North America lately. It did show up to Thunder, there was a different one at Abby, and the Red Arrows have their own.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:06 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Monday, 09/09/19, my wife and I got to see a DC-3 type approach and land on runway 09 at Key West International Airport (KEYW). Clearly a freighter as it had no windows. Anonymous plain white paint with no visible markings. The sight and sound sure made my day! (sorry, but no pictures; I was up to my chest in the Atlantic Ocean at the time).

Later in the day... several F/A-18s "out playing", probably out of Boca Chica.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 187  Next