Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:55 am 

Think this has some good info for us to keep in mind going forward.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/communi ... lts.74702/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:56 am 

whistlingdeath77 wrote:
Hamilton H-37500 wrote:
The Colllings Foundation sent out an email to supporters this morning:

Quote:
Dear supporters,

Please join the Collings Foundation in our thoughts and prayers with those who were on the tragic flight of the B-17 Flying Fortress “Nine-O-Nine” on Wednesday, October 2nd. We will be forever grateful to the heroic efforts of the first responders at Bradley International Airport and the assistance of all local agencies in the days after the crash.

The Collings Foundation team has been and remains fully cooperative with officials to determine the cause of the crash and we will comment further when facts and details become available. We have suspended the Wings of Freedom Tour for the remainder of the 2019 season and the aircraft have returned to our winter maintenance base in Florida.

The mission of the Collings Foundation remains steadfast in the goal of making history come alive as we have for over 30 years. Since 1989, the Wings of Freedom Tour has touched the lives of millions, as we have made visits to over 3600 communities in that time. Tens of thousands have flown aboard our Living History Flight Experiences (LHFE) on the B-17, B-24, B-25, and A-1E and flight training on the TP-51C, TF-51D, and TP-40N. In the past week we have received many stories on how powerful and life-changing the tour has been for families and as we move forward, and we expect there are thousands more who have been touched by the Wings of Freedom Tour.

In the coming months, federal agencies will be reviewing the LHFE program for not only our organization, but many other organizations nationwide who continue to fly vintage aircraft as a part of their educational mission. As these reviews take place, we feel it is important for the voices of those impacted by the Wings of Freedom Tour over the years to be heard. We need to let federal agencies know that the LHFE program is important to you and other American citizens as an educational tool.

Please take a moment to add your comments to the current docket regarding the renewal of the Collings Foundation LHFE program with the FAA at the Federal Register. You may do so online at the following link:

https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=F ... 11089-0096

As you write your comment, please review the tips for submitting effective comments from Regulations.gov at https://www.regulations.gov/docs/Tips_F ... mments.pdf

Thank you for your support of our living history mission.

Best regards,
Rob Collings
Executive Director

This should be under its own thread alone so that others can easily find it

This should be a sticky at the top of the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:35 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Fearless Tower wrote:
Assuming the aircraft was insured, the wreckage will be the property of the insurance company once the NTSB releases it. It is up to them to dispose of. Once it is declared a total loss, it is no longer CF's property unless they opt to buy it back.
That's not exactly how that works. I've been in the insurance business for almost 20 years now and retaining salvage is very common in the wheeled vehicle world, throughout the entire process and some policies allow for salvage issues even in total losses. I can't say exactly how it works for each aviation insurance company, but retaining salvage, I'd bet, is a common thing for antique aircraft, no matter how badly damaged they are. That said, establishing the salvage value of a B-17 partial wing, tail and charred components would be quite a challenge.

Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former REMF (US Army, O3)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 pm 

Some of the hosts of the Airplane Geeks podcasts met up with the Wings of Freedom tour just a week before the crash. They recount the story of their visit with them, share their chat with pilot Mac McCauley and talk about regulations for warbird flights. One of the other hosts is on the CAF B-29 crew.
There is no speculation around the cause of the crash.

http://www.airplanegeeks.com/2019/10/09 ... tion-b-17/
Segment starts at 26:50, talk with Mac (which starts with questions about the turbosuperchargers) is at 44:30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 pm 

We just had a plane go down in Indiana for that exact reason...

https://fox59.com/2019/10/10/use-of-jet ... b-reports/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:41 pm 

A notification for this came up on my phone the other day and I forgot to post it.

Quote:
WINDSOR LOCKS, Conn. (WWLP) – The last of the Collings Foundation vintage World War II aircraft have departed Bradley International Airport. Before takeoff, the B-25 crew requested permission from the air traffic control tower to take an extra minute on the runway before taking off.

In that minute, the crew made an emotional tribute to those involved in the deadly B-17 crash. Listen to the full audio below:

B-25: Hey, uh, tower B-25 any chance to take a second to say something?

Tower: Go head.

B-25: This is difficult, but bear with us… I think for everybody here, our crew, and the entire Collings Foundation, we’re very appreciative and deeply sorrow for everything. To all of you here at the airport, the people of Connecticut, and especially those families that were involved in this tragedy this week. On a personal note, and I guess it’s even more difficult, because we never do it, but uh…we got to leave behind two of our friends Mac and Mike and our brothers and fellow crew. Also a salute to our good ol’ friend, the 909.

[inaudible] B-25s ready for departure.

Tower: Thank you very much, I’ll pass the word along. Runway 6 cleared for takeoff.

B-25: Clear to go, Runway 6, 3476G. Thank you guys.

Tower: Safe journeys, guys.

Audio here: https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-new ... g-bradley/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was contacted by News Channel 3 today to talk about the crash and the Collings Foundation. They wanted to interview me in person but I couldn't (being at work) so I sent them Jerry O'Neill's contact info. I was, however, able to do a quick "phoner". Anything to help out the CF.
https://www.wfsb.com/news/video-owner-of-crashed-b--seeks-renewal-of-flight/video_86ba813a-4058-5fa3-8426-04f809457d55.html

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:48 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Warbird Kid wrote:
I was contacted by News Channel 3 today to talk about the crash and the Collings Foundation. They wanted to interview me in person but I couldn't (being at work) so I sent them Jerry O'Neill's contact info. I was, however, able to do a quick "phoner". Anything to help out the CF.
https://www.wfsb.com/news/video-owner-of-crashed-b--seeks-renewal-of-flight/video_86ba813a-4058-5fa3-8426-04f809457d55.html

Great work today! You and jerry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kudos Jerry and Chris...and to News Channel 3 for airing your input.

:drink3:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:26 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Good job guys... :wink:

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:42 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Nice job Chris and Jerry. Thanks for getting the word out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

+1 on the great job.

CF will survive and thrive ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:49 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Col. Rohr wrote:
Nice work Guy's,

FYI for everyone, I have been checking Senator Loudmouth/Asshate Congressional schedule and so far he hasn't asked to speak with the FAA or NTSB yet nor has he introduced any bills that would/could affect Warbirds. Since I have a friend who works on the Hill she will be keeping me advised if he introduce or asks for a meeting with either the FAA or NTSB

Thank you! Mr. Vietnam,( oh I mean I wasn’t there,) will hopefully go away

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:24 pm 

hurricane_yank wrote:
We just had a plane go down in Indiana for that exact reason...

https://fox59.com/2019/10/10/use-of-jet ... b-reports/

Which is why I would say that we can safely rule out incorrect or bad fuel. After any accident of any cause the FBO is asked (told) to immediately secure the fuel truck and one of the first things done is to test the fuel for quality and purity there (specific gravity test) and at a lab. And these airport that service 121 aircraft (and all branded FBOs) will have delivery purity tests as well as daily testing from every tank and every truck.

Why do I think we can rule it out? Because this testing is done immediately (I’ve been through this as an FBO manager during several unrelated-to-fuel crashes) and there is no reason the NTSB wouldn’t have issued a statement if it was fuel contamination from the fuel source.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:04 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

I am one more to say that I am horrified and sorely grieved over this accident, and almost desperately want to know WHY?, as if the answer might somehow mitigate the tragedy, which it almost certainly would not. I'm glad the WIX speculators are allowed to speculate, as I may ignore what I do not care for, and the more thoughtful bits do kind of help in some inscrutable way, as I struggle to come to grips with this.

To the Collings Foundation: I Love You. That's all.

PIC, Ford 6600 pulling Rhino batwing up and down the runway

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 37  Next