Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

kalamazookid wrote:
It appears that it will indeed be static.

Quote:
the plan is to “pickle” the plane. This is the equivalent to mothballing a car. So it will not fly in the near future but it’s airworthiness won’t be ruined. It is very expensive to maintain and insure an aircraft of this age and we want to ensure it doesn’t become too expensive to keep in its hometown of Evansville!

Found it here: https://www.facebook.com/EvansvilleP47Foundation

Per John Terrell's sticky thread, this would leave us with 10 airworthy Thunderbolts in the world, of which eight could probably be said to be regularly flown (I don't believe Tallahassee Lassie or Wicked Wabbit have flown recently). The Dakota Territory Air Museum razorback and the CAF P-47N offer some hope for more airworthy Thunderbolts in the near future.

How is the restoration coming along on the CAF's Thunderbolt?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:28 am 
Newly minted Mustang Pilot

There was/is at least one being restored in Australia as well. There was a pole barn full of P-47 parts located in Nevada a few years ago and from the photos I saw, there were at least parts for 2 airframes plus a bunch of spares. Not sure where all this ended up but it was well known collection in the business. The Evansville group still has to finish raising the money...and while it's "neat" they want one for the city, I don't see that museum being a 'tourist' destination or sustainable. Unless they are subsidized by sponsors, grants, or major benefactors, there is no way it could be maintained airworthy.

JH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:46 am 

maradamx3 wrote:
Warbird Kid wrote:
Considering the museum is located in a hangar at the airport, I hope they'll keep her airworthy and hopefully put together a maintenance / flying operation fo 8th plane. A sad shame to see her grounded after so many years. And another sad development to the LSFM. I fear their days are numbered. :(

Please explain why you think "their days are numbered". That isn't the impression you get when you visit the new, shiny, impressive facility and talk with docents.
Are there reasons beyong Thunderbird and covid?

I've heard the same thing - that they are in deep financial trouble. That would make sense with them selling off or putting up for sale significant aircraft in their collection. Their B-17, SBD is for sale, they've sold off the Hellcat and now apparently, the P-47.

Just an fyi, but major museums such as this don't sell off significant portions of their most important aircraft unless they were in financial distress, or had a complete revision of their business model and/or museum mission.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:51 am 

Pat Carry wrote:
How is the restoration coming along on the CAF's Thunderbolt?

Still a LONG ways from flying again. Like everything, it all comes down to money - and it will take boatloads of it. Currently, the SoCal wing of the CAF are the caretakers of this aircraft:

https://commemorativeairforce.org/aircraft/21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:01 pm 

kalamazookid wrote:
It appears that it will indeed be static.

Quote:
the plan is to “pickle” the plane. This is the equivalent to mothballing a car. So it will not fly in the near future but it’s airworthiness won’t be ruined. It is very expensive to maintain and insure an aircraft of this age and we want to ensure it doesn’t become too expensive to keep in its hometown of Evansville!

Found it here: https://www.facebook.com/EvansvilleP47Foundation

Per John Terrell's sticky thread, this would leave us with 10 airworthy Thunderbolts in the world, of which eight could probably be said to be regularly flown (I don't believe Tallahassee Lassie or Wicked Wabbit have flown recently). The Dakota Territory Air Museum razorback and the CAF P-47N offer some hope for more airworthy Thunderbolts in the near future.

The future is actually really bright for the Thunderbolt, with several restorations ongoing:

https://www.warbirdsonline.com.au/2015/ ... torations/

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restora ... -2020.html

Air Corps Aviation has digitally scanned every part on the P-47, as is customary with all their warbird restorations. That means they will be able to build a P-47 from scratch at any time in the future - all it takes is money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just out of curiosity....how big a boatload of money would it take to build a Thunderbolt from (more or less) scratch?
More than people pay for Mustangs/Spitfires?..
Or Mosquitos?

If not, then there are enthusiasts out there with the money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:31 am 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Mustangs and Spitfires are far simpler in construction. A Thunderbolt has a lot more parts.

There are typically two ways to build an aircraft from sheet metal. One is with thick skins and sparse backup structure, the other is thin skins with lots of backup structure. The P-47 falls into the latter category. The Thunderbolt also has a lot more ductwork.
JohnB wrote:
Just out of curiosity....how big a boatload of money would it take to build a Thunderbolt from (more or less) scratch?
More than people pay for Mustangs/Spitfires?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:33 pm 

I was amazed at the internal structure of the P-47 when I saw this at NMWW2A in Colorado.

No wonder the fuselage is so chunky!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Vagabond wrote:

Chunky?!

You are wrong, my friend.

She's broad where a broad should be broad...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:45 am 

Dan K wrote:
Vagabond wrote:

Chunky?!

You are wrong, my friend.

She's broad where a broad should be broad...

Hence 'The Jug'.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:37 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Vagabond wrote:
I was amazed at the internal structure of the P-47 when I saw this at NMWW2A in Colorado.

Cool display... pop2

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:02 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Neil Melton that owns a P-47D told me there are parts out there. I asked him about buying the P-47N fuselage that was in the Soplata collection. What he wanted to pay was 1/3 what it sold for. He already has a couple of projects and pieces. He said it will cost 2 to 3 million to restore a Thunderbolt. I know the spars are typically bad and the wings require extensive rebuild/remanufacture. He's flown his over a thousand hours in the last twenty years and they are fun to fly. They are easier to fly and land than a P-51D.
You have to want to rebuild a Thunderbolt. Otherwise it's easier to just get out the checkbook and buy a P-51D and you will always have other P-51D's to fly with at every airshow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

marine air wrote:
Neil Melton that owns a P-47D told me there are parts out there. I asked him about buying the P-47N fuselage that was in the Soplata collection. What he wanted to pay was 1/3 what it sold for...

The Soplata P-47N remains dropped off my radar. Is the new owner a matter of public knowledge?

Digressing into a purely personal wish: When Yanks Air Museum sold their "extra" F6F to the Fagen family, my jaded brain wondered if that could also be the future for one of their Jugs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:57 pm 

Tarheel Hal is now at Evansville. Was supposed to leave Thurs, weather near Evansville cancelled that flight. Weather was crap at EFD yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:11 am 

Just after arrival in Evansville.

Glen

Attachments:
IMG_0098_1.JPG
IMG_0098_1.JPG [ 244.44 KiB | Viewed 996 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next