Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:33 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Yankee Air Museum's B-25 "Yankee Warrior" is going to be repainted in the 489th BS markings it wore while based at Corsica during WWII! Announcement is in this video:

https://fb.watch/2rcBesBvDF/

I'm curious to see what camouflage pattern is going to be used as the 489th wore a few different and interesting schemes at various points in their service. Personally, I think it's fantastic that a combat vet B-25 is being put back in a scheme close to its original markings. Even if they come up with fictional nose art this is still a fitting choice for this aircraft.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:42 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Kind of an odd history, overseas less than a month.
http://warbirdregistry.org/b25registry/b25-433634.html
http://joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1943_1.html

Assigned to the 489th BS/340th BG/57th BW, April 19, 1944.
Flew its first combat mission the day it arrived!
Flew 7 combat missions between April 23, 1944 and May 4, 1944.
Ferried back to the USA, May 12, 1944.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:52 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I was a bit taken aback to hear this as I really think Yankee Warrior looks great in her current scheme. I did not realize she is an actual combat vet, in that case I'm all for it being put back into a scheme it would have had during the war.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:04 pm 

They must really be tired of polish parties over there.
Can't hardly wait to see her.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TAdan wrote:
I was a bit taken aback to hear this as I really think Yankee Warrior looks great in her current scheme. I did not realize she is an actual combat vet, in that case I'm all for it being put back into a scheme it would have had during the war.

I liked the polished theme of all three birds too, since they became a thing with YAM decades ago. But I get them trying to diversify their fleet and get more notoriety in doing so. We saw it already happen with their beautiful C-47. (Thankfully we have Virginia Ann to carry on the Post WWII USAF scheme.) Just would have been nice to see both fly together in the same markings.

But since the C-47 repaint into CBI markings, I figured it was only a matter of time until we saw the original markings emerge for this combat vet. It will be exciting for sure! But as I was doing some image searching for what this B-25 will look like, it seems like there are a few different paint schemes for the 489th BS. So will it look like "Briefing Time" or like "Texas Rose" / "Berlin Express"? Something entirely different?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:53 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Good news! Are they keeping the Yankee Warrior name, or going with her wartime name "Ellen & Son?"

SN

Last edited by Steve Nelson on Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:02 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Warbird Kid wrote:
it seems like there are a few different paint schemes for the 489th BS. So will it look like "Briefing Time" or like "Texas Rose" / "Berlin Express"? Something entirely different?

This is the only wartime photo I've seen of the plane. Looks like standard Olive Drab over Neutral Gray, with yellow cowl rings. Probably a white "9C" on the tail, with yellow serial number and maybe a British-style fin flash (common practice in the MTO.)

SN

Last edited by Steve Nelson on Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:05 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Steve Nelson wrote:
Warbird Kid wrote:
it seems like there are a few different paint schemes for the 489th BS. So will it look like "Briefing Time" or like "Texas Rose" / "Berlin Express"? Something entirely different?

This is the only wartime photo I've seen of the plane. Looks like standard Olive Drab over Neutral Gray, with yellow cowl rings. Probably a white "9D" on the tail, with yellow serial number and maybe a British-style fin flash.

SN

Nice find! That would be a really cool scheme!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:51 am 

Steve Nelson wrote:
Warbird Kid wrote:

This is the only wartime photo I've seen of the plane. Looks like standard Olive Drab over Neutral Gray, with yellow cowl rings. Probably a white "9C" on the tail, with yellow serial number and maybe a British-style fin flash (common practice in the MTO.)

SN

What is that face supposed to be? It kind of looks like a clown, but I can't tell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:51 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

OD/NG wrote:
What is that face supposed to be? It kind of looks like a clown, but I can't tell.

I think it's a clown. I don't recall where I found this photo, but I know the Yankee Air Museum has it in their archives, and their copy is probably clearer.

SN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Doesn't it look like you can see a reflection of the engine cowling and prop in the fuselage? That would be bare metal wouldn't it?

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC Blog Page: http://ctair-space.blogspot.com/
Warbird Wear: https://www.redbubble.com/people/warbirdwear/shop

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

Last edited by Warbird Kid on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:44 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

I think that's either a flaw in the negative or some marks on the fuselage. It wouldn't reflect that way; you wouldn't be able to see the cowl opening reflected on a part of the fuselage that's behind the front of the cowl.

But, I'm sure they are being attentive to whether it should be NMF or Neutral Gray. I was never clear on whether the gray on Briefing Time was done by mistake or on purpose; I heard conflicting accounts. But I imagine Ds were likely delivered in OD/NG, unlike Js.

Personally, I always hoped I would see this plane back in its postwar RCAF scheme one day. When I first got to know Gallant Warrior (as it was then named) in the 1980s, it still had the white upper fuselage and transport nose, and was just a few markings away from its old RCAF look.

August

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:14 pm 

I’m excited to see it. The video says od over ng. They make no mention of camo, with her relatively short time overseas I wonder if they even had time to put any paint on her other than the 9C. I most look forward to the bomb tally marks, knowing they are real not embellishments.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:17 pm 

Founds pics on reddit in this thread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:10 pm 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Maybe it's me, but I don't see black on the nose cowl in the original pic. :D