Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:19 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Yeah, I'm in as well. This is about the coolest thing I have seen on an aeroplane forum and I can no longer stand not to be a part of it.

I hope that the staff of another vintage aircraft magazine, which is on record as saying that we lack even a receptacle for certain bodily functions, is reading this thread and taking notes on (1) the evidence to the contrary and (2) Tim's and Paul's examples of how to be a class act in this area.

So chalk up $50 for the Canadian-born, bleeding-heart liberal New York lawyer contingent!

August

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:12 pm 

Scott and Gary,

I can't think of a better way to start 2007 on a really positive note ( should that be pound notes ? ) And a much better cause than going out spending it in the January sales today :D

A small donation from this side of the pond is on its way to you via Pay Pal

A very Happy New Year guys !

Peter

Post subject: Diamond Lil
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:24 pm 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Hi Scott,
I just sent my $50.00 donation via PayPal - please list it as "In Memory of Bernard Seglin"; as most of you know from my previous posts, he was the ball turret gunner on the F-7B (B-24J photo recon) 44-40967 "Hi-Priority Stuff". (That's the plane in my avatar.)

Mechanic: "Flap switch checked OK. Pilot needs more P.T." - Flight report, TB-17G 42-102875 (Hobbs AAF)

Post subject: Guns for Lil
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:04 pm 

Scott,
Count me in, I just send something via PayPal. Do you suppose they need any G-11 firing solenoids for these .50s? I'm sure I can spare enough to outfit all the .50s on the plane. Just have somebody send me a PM so I can UPS them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:14 pm 
WRG Editor
WRG Editor

Thanks Guys!

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.

Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.

Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ

Post subject: ???
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:21 pm 
Co-MVP - 2006

So what next here Scott? Norden bomb sight?

Post subject: Re: ???
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:27 pm 
Been here a long time
Been here a long time

Jack Cook wrote:
So what next here Scott? Norden bomb sight?
Guns are good and all (I chipped in as well), but have all the airworthiness and B-24 conversion issues been dealt with financially to meet Gary's deadline?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:59 pm 
Aerial Pirate

Scott,

Just dropped another small donation via Paypal for Lil

We must limit politicians to two terms:
one in office and one in jail.

Post subject: Re: Guns for Lil
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:00 am 

astixjr wrote:
Scott,
Count me in, I just send something via PayPal. Do you suppose they need any G-11 firing solenoids for these .50s? I'm sure I can spare enough to outfit all the .50s on the plane. Just have somebody send me a PM so I can UPS them.

Along this same line I can come up with some Edgewater adapters to mount the guns if needed. Maybe Gary could post a list of specific items needed . You would probably be amazed at the stuff people have stashed away, especially the smaller items.

George

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:09 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Gary:

I will be mailing you a check for $50.00 to help with this, on behalf of the Latin American Aviation Historical Society (LAAHS).

Let's remember that Diamond Lil, saw service South of the border for several years before making it to the CAF.

Saludos,

Tulio

I am one of them 'futbol' people.

Will the previous owner has pics of this double cabin sample

GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

Sooooo, how am I going to know to press 1 or 2, if I do not speak English????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:52 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

Howdy y'all,

I appreciate not only the monetary help here for the guns, but also the suggestion of other smaller items and parts that you may have stashed away somewhere. As far as the smaller bits for the guns themselves, I have that pretty well worked out. They should be pretty well authentic to a B-24A by the time it's all said and done.

We have a Norden bomb sight that has been and will go back in the airplane this season, although I believe the "A" model B-24's actually had a Sperry bomb sight (it'll just be our little secret). If you've got a Sperry sight laying around, I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

BDK kind of hit the nail on the head in his earlier post by suggesting that the timeline is starting to become my biggest enemy. Obviously the money will always be an issue, but it sure makes it less of a worry with the great WIXers that are out there. And even when we get these guns all paid for, if the donations keep coming in, I can assure you that we'll find a good home for 'em. ;-)

I know I've said "thank you" before, but I just want to say it again.....Thank YOU!

Gary

Post subject: LB-30 B-24A
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:56 am 

Interesting to find out after all these years, that Lil started life as a B-24A. What a rare a/c she really is! I thought that Lil left the factory as an LB-30. Did any of the plants actually make them like that or were the LB-30s converted in the field or at post production mod centers?

Post subject: Re: LB-30 B-24A
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:08 am 
Co-MVP - 2006

astixjr wrote:
Interesting to find out after all these years, that Lil started life as a B-24A. What a rare a/c she really is! I thought that Lil left the factory as an LB-30. Did any of the plants actually make them like that or were the LB-30s converted in the field or at post production mod centers?

AM927 was delivered as an LB30. It was, however, intended to be a B-24A as it was being constructed. The beginnings of WWII changed that, however. The way I understand it, the airplane was being built as a B-24A for the French, but they became occupied by Germany before the order could be filled. The British Air Commision took the 7 YB-24's and the first twenty B-24A's and had them "converted" to LB30's. Frankly, there is little difference between the first LB-30's and the B-24A. From the original documentation we have, it looks like mostly radio and armament equipment that was different.

This is only a small part of the history of our airplane. We will be publishing more as we get closer to flying it again. And if I've screwed up any of the facts above, I'm hopeful that some of our guys (Steve Corbett, where are you?), will pitch in and help me out here.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:05 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

Scott, I've sent a donation for 50.00 thru PayPal today.

Mark it for Rick & Ryan H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:58 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Dave Hackett wrote:
I think that after we get some air under Lil's wings again, we should see what John B. can give us for a project to help Red Tail get back in the air. Any others who want us to be a part of their project, chime in, and let us know what it is all about, and how the money can help!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but there are many ways to contribute to the Red Tail Project, details can be found here: www.redtail.org
Anything to add John?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next