Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss

Post subject: T-6 Main Strut Rebuild
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:58 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

I don't have access to any manuals here - is there a procedure in any of the T-6 pubs detailing the rebuild of a main gear strut?

Any nice-to-know tips not covered in the book?

thanks,
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:50 am 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

It's a straight forward repack. If you have access to Parker O-Lube use it mixed with some hydraulic fluid to coat everything. Be careful not to fold the edge of the chevron seals when installing them. Polish any nicks on the chrome strut before reassembling.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:43 pm 
1000+ Posts!
1000+ Posts!

Make doubly sure you depressurize it before trying to disassemble it. Same thing with split wheels. There have been numerous people hurt or killed because they didn't take the few seconds to make sure all the pressure had been released first. I've had to remind a few folks at work, that a number of our systems are still pressurized even with the jet shut down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:25 am 
3000+ Post Club
3000+ Post Club

The easiest way to do the struts is to remove the lower leg and put the seals onto the chrome cylinder and slide into place. I use a expanding automotive piston ring compressor over the seals to get them past the threads on the upper strut housing, and a couple of pieces of large PVC pipe to push the seals into place. One piece is a PVC coupling with the ring in the center removed, it should be as close to the strut diameter as possible, the other is a adaptor that is the same size as the strut on one side, and as large as possible on the other to act as a pusher.
something like this for the compressor, you want as long a reach as possible into the strut
http://guide.alibaba.com/shop/4-in-piston-ring-compressor-by-usatnm_36207002.html

something like this for the pusher
http://www.lowes.com/pd_23318-1814-PVC+00102++1000___?productId=3132737&pl=1&Ntt=pvc+pipe+couplings

Check out the Ercoupe Discussion Group on facebook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:29 am 
2000+ Post Club
2000+ Post Club

Mods, my apologies, if you'd please move this to the T-6/SNJ thread.