Warbird Information Exchange

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed on this site are the responsibility of the poster and do not reflect the views of the management.
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Classic Wings Magazine WWII Naval Aviation Research Pacific Luftwaffe Resource Center
When Hollywood Ruled The Skies - Volumes 1 through 4 by Bruce Oriss


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:02 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 385
bmoran wrote:
The XP-82 would be the decision maker for my family to attend Thunder this year...

I assume Michael realizes this is probably the statement that a ton of people will be making. I also assume there are shows across the country where the XP would be the make or break for their attendance. We will know soon!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:50 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:21 pm
Posts: 596
Location: Belleville, Michigan
Just added,

The Mid America Flight Museum's FG-1D Corsair "MARINE'S DREAM"! :wink:

_________________
Michael Luther
Yankee Air Museum's
Air Show Director
THUNDER OVER MICHIGAN


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:29 am 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 253
My Corsair banner has been updated!


Image

Sean


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:58 am 
Offline
Lance Corporal

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:03 am
Posts: 37
GRNDP51 wrote:
bmoran wrote:
The XP-82 would be the decision maker for my family to attend Thunder this year...

I assume Michael realizes this is probably the statement that a ton of people will be making. I also assume there are shows across the country where the XP would be the make or break for their attendance. We will know soon!!


I can appreciate the enthusiasm for the twin mustang, but your average airshow attendee doesn't understand the significance of this airframe. It's a big deal to a small number of us enthusiasts, but means nothing to the bulk revenue (aka people) coming through the gate. Michael and the TOM team are probably more worried about getting good weather.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:49 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 385
Jasonrs55 wrote:
GRNDP51 wrote:
bmoran wrote:
The XP-82 would be the decision maker for my family to attend Thunder this year...

I assume Michael realizes this is probably the statement that a ton of people will be making. I also assume there are shows across the country where the XP would be the make or break for their attendance. We will know soon!!


I can appreciate the enthusiasm for the twin mustang, but your average airshow attendee doesn't understand the significance of this airframe. It's a big deal to a small number of us enthusiasts, but means nothing to the bulk revenue (aka people) coming through the gate. Michael and the TOM team are probably more worried about getting good weather.

Not going to disagree with that, but the I can assure you that the "average" attendee that knows ANYTHING about warbirds more than likely knows Corsair and Mustang. Thunder already has both of those covered, but for those that know what a Mustang is, to see the Twin Mustang and realize "hold on this is TWO Mustangs TOGETHER?" I think it would be a big draw.

Warbird Digest's post about Thunder's gathering also got over 2,000 likes on Facebook, which for a warbird group is pretty solid. I would imagine a majority of those people (and more) will guaranteed buy tickets if they're on the fence if the XP-82 gets put on the attendee list.

At this point, the only thing that would draw more "average" spectators is the Blues or Tbirds, which obviously won't happen, and I am glad about that... So why not draw the warbird crowd on the fence if the costs of the XP attending are within reason?

I can agree with weather, and it seems like more than anything the team is trying to get Thunder back on track after the past few years have seemed to fall short of the Thunder crowd expectations. (some things that couldn't be controlled of course)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:57 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 385
First list posted very early on Thunder's site!!! Lots of extras that haven't been announced on here :D

http://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/aircraft-list/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:22 am 
Offline
Former Lurker

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:37 am
Posts: 4
GRNDP51 wrote:
First list posted very early on Thunder's site!!! Lots of extras that haven't been announced on here :D

http://yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/aircraft-list/


Out of everything on that list, this one I'm the most excited about at this point:

Jack Link’s Beef Jerky Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:24 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 385
With such a diverse Legacy Flight team this year, pretty surprised Thunder wouldn’t be on that list. The weekend is still open though...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:44 pm 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am
Posts: 272
Shaping up to be an epic warbird show, glad for that but am waiting for jets before I buy any tickets - I take the "Thunder" part seriously.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:00 pm 
Offline
WRG Editor
WRG Editor
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:43 pm
Posts: 4892
Location: Haverhill, MA & Johnston, RI
Xray wrote:
Shaping up to be an epic warbird show, glad for that but am waiting for jets before I buy any tickets - I take the "Thunder" part seriously.


Jack Link’s Beef Jerky Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco

There's your jet! :P

_________________
Scott Rose
Editor-In-Chief/Webmaster
Warbirds Resource Group - Warbird Information Exchange - Warbird Registry - MilitarySciFi.com

Be civil, be polite, be nice.... or be elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------
This site is brought to you with the support of members like you. If you find this site to be of value to you,
consider supporting this forum and the Warbirds Resource Group with a VOLUNTARY subscription
For as little as $2/month you can help ($2 x 12 = $24/year, less than most magazine subscriptions)
So If you like it here, and want to see it grow, consider helping out.


Thanks to everyone who has so generously supported the site. We really do appreciate it.
HOW TO SUPPORT WIX - Warbirds Resource Group Patreon


Follow us on Twitter! @WIXHQ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:42 pm 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am
Posts: 272
Scott WRG Editor wrote:
Xray wrote:
Shaping up to be an epic warbird show, glad for that but am waiting for jets before I buy any tickets - I take the "Thunder" part seriously.


Jack Link’s Beef Jerky Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco

There's your jet! :P


Sasquatch is cool, I'll give you that - And loud.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:53 pm 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 253
Xray wrote:
Scott WRG Editor wrote:
Xray wrote:
Shaping up to be an epic warbird show, glad for that but am waiting for jets before I buy any tickets - I take the "Thunder" part seriously.


Jack Link’s Beef Jerky Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco

There's your jet! :P


Sasquatch is cool, I'll give you that - And loud.


Plus they have the F-16 Demo!

Sean


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:06 pm 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am
Posts: 272
Jack Link’s Beef Jerky Screamin' Sasquatch Jet Waco

There's your jet! :P[/quote]

Sasquatch is cool, I'll give you that - And loud.[/quote]

Plus they have the F-16 Demo!

Sean[/quote]

Yeah saw that, better than nothing. Really not that much in the inventory compared to back in the day. F-22 demo would be great, 15's and 18's would be nice, as would a Harrier demo. Bombers are apparently too much to ask for these days, even a flyby, though some shows [like RIAT] seem to get about everything.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:46 pm 
Offline
Group Captain

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm
Posts: 385
Well let’s see, no airshow has both the F-22 and F-16, the F-15 doesn’t even have a demo, the Harrier and F-18 are both performing at literally less than 10 shows COMBINED, and it’s still 5 months out and confirming military static’s/passes this far in advance is useless. Maybe get a reality check before bashing Thunder for only getting an F-16 and 11 Corsairs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:49 pm 
Offline
Wing Commander

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:25 am
Posts: 272
GRNDP51 wrote:
Well let’s see, no airshow has both the F-22 and F-16, the F-15 doesn’t even have a demo, the Harrier and F-18 are both performing at literally less than 10 shows COMBINED, and it’s still 5 months out and confirming military static’s/passes this far in advance is useless. Maybe get a reality check before bashing Thunder for only getting an F-16 and 11 Corsairs


don't get your knickers in a knot, didn't even come close to "bashing". Talk about a reality check, "Thunder" is only produced by jets, not props. And BTW, jets do not have to "perform" to attend a show, just like the 2 F-35's last year. Me speculating about jets at an airshow of all things [GASP !] is no more pointless than you continuously speculating about the XP-82 so if you don't like my posts, don't read or reply to them.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group